Star Trek XI Romulan Weapons

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Star Trek XI Romulan Weapons

Post by stitch626 »

The rifle looks like a repurposed mining tool that saw extensive modification (because no one would build a weapon with that... thing... on the back, right).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:I would imagine that they also use them as tools so they should have adjustable settings.
On the contrary, I expect folks like miners to have very specialized and more efficient tools for their work.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

In reference to Romulan infantry, we know they do infact have some of the only infanty in that part of the galaxy, The Reman shock troops used in the Dominion war.

If you discount Klingon warrior idiots and there knifes Remans are the only real land troops we see.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Mikey wrote:
alexmann wrote:I would imagine that they also use them as tools so they should have adjustable settings.
On the contrary, I expect folks like miners to have very specialized and more efficient tools for their work.
The fed's have phaser drills which basically have the same effect as a high ROF phaser rifle.
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:The fed's have phaser drills which basically have the same effect as a high ROF phaser rifle.
...and, kittens have balls of yarn. However; #1 - that's NOT the effect of a phaser drill*, and #2 - we're talking about the Romulan miners from XI, not the UFP from TNG.

Furthermore, if the UFP has such a tool available to people who are NOT miners, wouldn't it make sense that people who ARE miners have something as specialized?

* - the effect of a phaser drill, as one may guess from the name, is to bore into (or "drill") into rock - NOT to vaporize sections or stun rock. We've seen shipboard phasers configured for such a purpose, but I don't recall seeing small arms being used efficiently (as a miner's standard tool would be) for same.
as Bull offed Custer
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Well they have been shown to be able to break rock up. That ability means you just need to pick the rock up and shift it to your refinery.
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:Well they have been shown to be able to break rock up. That ability means you just need to pick the rock up and shift it to your refinery.
For some obscure reason, perhaps. For mining, however, you don't need to break up rock and move it - you need to get through rock to extract a particular ore or mineral from a larger, heterogenous substrate.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nowadays all you need to do is mine the whole rock itself, and extract is later. Depending on the rock, you can recycle it as concrete or something else.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:Nowadays all you need to do is mine the whole rock itself, and extract is later. Depending on the rock, you can recycle it as concrete or something else.
Not practical - if you're mining for (for example) bauxite, why would you remove to your refinery/smelter all the rock that doesn't have any bauxite in it?
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

True. Not everyone uses that method to extract whatever they need from the rocks.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

But you can shift the rock that you don't need to refine out the way and use it for other stuff.
ImageImage
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Going by the images Reliant posted, I'd say they aren't mining tools, They appear to be built as weapons (I.e. that’s the original purpose of then), and there is no way you would use weapons as mining tools, that's just a ridiculous suggestion.
Bite my shiny metal ass
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

What use would miners have for weapons?
ImageImage
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

alexmann wrote:But you can shift the rock that you don't need to refine out the way and use it for other stuff.
You could, but why would you? There is a greater cost involved (via energy, labor, or whatever) in transporting x tons of rock + y tons of target ore than there is in just transporting y tons of ore... not to mention the cost and time of dividing and removing all the extraneous stuff.
Griffin wrote:Going by the images Reliant posted, I'd say they aren't mining tools, They appear to be built as weapons (I.e. that’s the original purpose of then), and there is no way you would use weapons as mining tools, that's just a ridiculous suggestion.
Exactly my point. We're talking about professional miners, who would undoubtedly have actual mining equipment to hand.
alexmann wrote:What use would miners have for weapons?
Defending themselves and their claims, or (for less scrupulous miners) taking other folks' claims by force.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

alexmann wrote:What use would miners have for weapons?
As Mikey said, defense against claim-jumpers or claim-jumping themselves.