4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SFDebris: Star Trek (2009)

Post by Captain Seafort »

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Pretty good review and, give or take a bit, I agree with Chuck's rating. The film's key failure, which prevented it from being truly great, wasn't that things hadn't been thought through properly (Kirk's promotion aside) but that too much of the good stuff was left in the comic and the novel rather than being put into the film. I got the distinct sense that Chuck was frustrated at that more than anything else.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: SFDebris: Star Trek (2009)

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, that's about right. There's a lot of potential for it to be a great movie... but is 'merely' good. Almost very good.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Personally, I love this film. It has flaws (namely the ones he mentioned), but it is the most enjoyable Trek film since Wrath of Khan in my opinion.

Casting, acting, action, characterization, cinematography, pacing, set and costume design... all perfect, IMO.

I mostly agree with his analysis and final score (though I'd give it an 8 ).
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Personally, I love this film. It has flaws (namely the ones he mentioned), but it is the most enjoyable Trek film since Wrath of Khan in my opinion.

Casting, acting, action, characterization, cinematography, pacing, set and costume design... all perfect, IMO.

I mostly agree with his analysis and final score (though I'd give it an 8 ).
I also think he pointed out an interesting dynamic that I felt he could have spent more time on one. At second glance (and after his review) I think you realize, this wasn't a story about Kirk, or the ensemble, but about Spock. It's somewhat hidden but Spock is really the character with the story here.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I caught that the first viewing, and I think it was really a great way to start the new series.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Spock was always the highlight of the movie to me. I really loved how he made "Live Long and Prosper" sound like "Screw you old dudes", when refusing acceptance to the Science Academy.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

kostmayer wrote:Spock was always the highlight of the movie to me. I really loved how he made "Live Long and Prosper" sound like "Screw you old dudes", when refusing acceptance to the Science Academy.
Or simply when he was told that 'No Vulcan ever refused a posting to the Vulcan Science Academy', and Spock states that since he is half Vulcan, the claim is still true.

Don't you love how the Vulcans claim Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations, yet all want to be logical and go to the Vulcan Science Academy?
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Coalition wrote:
kostmayer wrote:Spock was always the highlight of the movie to me. I really loved how he made "Live Long and Prosper" sound like "Screw you old dudes", when refusing acceptance to the Science Academy.
Or simply when he was told that 'No Vulcan ever refused a posting to the Vulcan Science Academy', and Spock states that since he is half Vulcan, the claim is still true.

Don't you love how the Vulcans claim Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations, yet all want to be logical and go to the Vulcan Science Academy?
Not all Vulcans get invited to join the science academy, it's rare and quite an honour, thus nobody refuses.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The Vulcan Science Academy, where logic and chunky sweaters are mandatory.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:lol:
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Oh, i don't know. Beats having him wear yet another weighty robe. :lol:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

To me, the Vulcans are a lot like Post WWII England. They can look back in the not so distant past and remember being the A-NUMBER-1-TOPDOG guys of the Trek Universe. Everyone, or so they felt, looked up to them and judged by them as the standard. Now with Earth and SF coming along that's no longer the case and they've lost their standing. While there's no doubt they have done as much as they feel they can to be good friends and allies to Earth, there is always that sense of "It should still be us standing tall, not the Humans."
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

:happydevil: :happydevil: :happydevil:
ImageImage
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

alexmann wrote:
:happydevil: :happydevil: :happydevil:
I thought the same thing.

You really cannot deny that in this movie, the largest shining spot was the acting.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

Star Trek is on Film4 Sat 11th Feb at 9pm (UK & Irl) if you're interested in watching it again.

(I've remembered to record it this time)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!