The loss of Vulcan

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

The loss of Vulcan

Post by Teaos »

This is in reference to a future movie or TV show.

Do you think the loss of Vulcan will be a signifigant factor in the future of the series? Not would it, which we know it would have a huge impact.

But will the producers really make sure to make it a signifigant part of the Federation much like wolf 359 became in latter trek. Or will they just pay lip service to it and make it a minor C plot usually involving Spook?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: The loss of Vulcan

Post by Tyyr »

Honestly I think it'll largely be lip service and a bit of minor plot from time to time for Spock. I'm not knocking it but I think this new Trek is going to focus on what's historically made the money for a while and that's action.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Unfortunately, I tend to agree. Besides the production ethic which Tyyr mentioned, it's also an awful lot easier to just say, "Hey, remember Vulcan?" once in a while rather than design a logical, deductive post-Vulcan UFP.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

It could end up like here & Blackstar. Someone metions it, new members ask what people are talking about, some people just groan and think evil thoughts, some relisish telling the old stories again but mostly it just gets ignored until its needed as a cautionary tale.
So the moral of the story is don't piss off IK or GK or they'll red matter your homeworld. Or something. :)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

colmquinn wrote:So the moral of the story is don't piss off IK or GK or they'll red matter your homeworld.
You'd think they'd have had their fill of that by now.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I wonder if perhaps they turn Vulcans into something appart from logical unenotional creatures, a race of people lusting for revenge turning their minds todestruction rather than preserving the old ways.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That sort of radically-altered depiction of Vulcans would presage the geekiest riots ever.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Maybe so, but I like Teaos's line of thought here. At this point we've learned that Vulcans are only a hundred years or so away from tolitarian militarism, very similar to Romulans. Is it a stretch to think they might revert and abandon their "pacificstic" ways?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yes, but we've already seen Spock from that future. He was most decidedly not a monomaniacal, bloodthirsty vengeance-seeker.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I think a split in the remaining survivors would make for a pretty interesting sub story arc. Some trying to cling to their logic and control despite the emotional trauma, and those who say "fuck it" and let their feelings bury them.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If the Vulcans did get hell ben on revenge it would be ironic, they would become what destroyed them by following in Neros foot steps.

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mikey wrote:Yes, but we've already seen Spock from that future. He was most decidedly not a monomaniacal, bloodthirsty vengeance-seeker.

But HIS Vulcan was still ok, in another universe. Plus, he's old...wise...and he's SPOCK! Nothing ruffles his feathers except Jim Kirk, or it's Pon'Farr time.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

He's like that specifically because he's Vulcan.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Well, we've always seen Spock the way he is because he practices the Vulcan art of emotional control. However, it is a careful management of emotion (and one which we've since learned requires constant practice and effort to maintain), not an innate lack of emotion. Now, in the Abramsverse, Spock (like all other Vulcans) must deal with a far greater emotional load then we'd seen Vulcans handling in the Geneverse. What I'm suggesting is that even if most or all Vulcans (and half-Vulcans :P ) choose to continue the pursuit of Logic, they must now struggle to a far greater extent to maintain their control. At some future point, the pain would surely become more distant, and more manageable, but "now" it's a fresh and gaping wound of a magnitude the Vulcans as a race have never experienced.

So, to me it would make a great story line to follow Spock (as the resident Vulcan crewman and most familiar Vulcan in Trek) struggle to keep his composure in the face of this enormous stress. The man did just watch his mother die before his eyes as he tried to rescue her from his doomed planet...
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

They could do a lot with it, good stuff. I think seeing the Vulcans splitting a bit could be good stuff with maybe even the Romulans looking at the revenge seeking Vulcans like they're nuts.

I still strongly suspect that it'll be a minor thing if its ever even spoken of again at all.