Nero

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Nero

Post by BigJKU316 »

Tyyr wrote:That's... actually 100% correct.
Well that assumes that Nero likes the Romulan government. For all we know they might be number 3 on his shit list after Spock and the UFP. He seems mostly pissed about his family being dead and just wants people to suffer. It is quite possible that throughts of political and military domination never crossed his mind.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Agreed. Nero wasn't a villain by grand design; he was a villain by accident of his very personal quest for vengeance.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I kinda liked Nero as a villain, precisely because he wasn't on some grand plot. Plots like that are usually full of holes anyway. Nero was just so full of anger that he wanted the whole galaxy to burn.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

True, but the man is pissed off that his wife died. So he goes back in time and... does everything he possibly can to ensure that she will definitely die as opposed to stopping her from dying.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:True, but the man is pissed off that his wife died. So he goes back in time and... does everything he possibly can to ensure that she will definitely die as opposed to stopping her from dying.
Irrationality is yet another indicator of his lack of focus as a villain and his mere aim to be a... guy who just hates everything.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The point for me was that Nero was a madman villain in a way few people in trek ever are. He wasnt a man with delusions of grandeur, a man with political mindset, a man who was simply violent. He was mad with grief. He was way beyond rational and logical thought, and winted to avenge the wifes deathm not prevent it. Thats the defining quality of his villainy.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

That might have been fine if it was just nero, but what about all the other Romulans? None of them had any other ideas on how they might want to get their revenge? I mean they did just kind of wait around for what, 20 odd years waiting for Spock to appear. That's an awful long time to brood and do nothing.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, they sat around for 25 years. Even if Nero was completely unhinged why did no one else in his crew bring it up?

"Hey boss, you know we could totally prevent all that from happening and give our guys the edge to steam roll these Federation pansies. Just saying."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I get the impression that Nero was the type who did not take constructive criticism too well.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

He was just a bit.......maniacal, wasn't he?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I think they were all afraid of him... did you see the looks they gave him, and how gracious they were when speaking to him.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

It's not like giving the Romulan empire a leg up is mutually exclusive to carrying out Nero's plan. And it would certainly give them something to do. Even for a species that lives 3 centuries, 2.5 decades is a long time to just wait around. Hell, I'm sure the RE would be happy to let Nero do whatever he wanted, his plan would cripple the Fed and they could claim him an independent agent operating without the permission of the Empire in perfect honesty.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yes, but why would Nero do anything for the Romulan Empire, or for that matter anything at all aside from exact his revenge? He wasn't a soldier, a politician, or even someone who started out working for the good of the Romulan Empire. He had zero motivation other than his own personal vengeance.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

And that's fine, if it were ONLY Nero. But not ONE other member of his crew thought about the good of the Empire? None of them were willing to go up to Nero and say "Yo boss, since we've got so much free time while we wait for Spock, you think maybe we could go...I don't know...stop by Romulous for a while? Maybe keep the us of this timeline from having to go through what we did?"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Right, and before Christian how many sailors were willing to tell Bligh how to run his ship?
as Bull offed Custer