Nero

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Nero

Post by Foxfyre »

I think it was a bt of how the chracter was written and a part on the actor. I meen the line where he introduced himself to captian pike and crew "Hello christopher I'm Nero" I was like what are you serious?
Genius insania et conseri manum
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Interesting.

I rather like that casual approach. Was very refreshing for a Trek villain and perhaps vilainy in general.

To me it implied that he really had come from a parallel universe, and back in time as well. And now he's meeting all these historical characters he's no doubt heard about.

And then he casually dismisses them because he's focused on his goal.

Other than that, I agree he was rather bland. The revenge arc is rather done to death I guess.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

LaughingCheese wrote:Interesting.

I rather like that casual approach. Was very refreshing for a Trek villain and perhaps vilainy in general.

To me it implied that he really had come from a parallel universe, and back in time as well. And now he's meeting all these historical characters he's no doubt heard about.

I liked that bit too.

"Yeah, yeah. George Washington. Great, go skip a coin or chop down a tree. I've got business to take care of here."
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Tsukiyumi wrote:

"Yeah, yeah. George Washington. Great, go skip a coin or chop down a tree. I've got business to take care of here."
:laughroll:
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

Tsukiyumi wrote:

I liked that bit too.

:laughroll: :laughroll:
Genius insania et conseri manum
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I just thought it made a great point that we were dealing with a civillian nutjob. You couldn't, in all fairness, except a miner from the 24th century from a completely other culture to be aquainted with all of another species notable figures from a hundred years ago.

More like he was just.......slightly imbalanced.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Mark wrote:I just thought it made a great point that we were dealing with a civillian nutjob. You couldn't, in all fairness, except a miner from the 24th century from a completely other culture to be aquainted with all of another species notable figures from a hundred years ago.

More like he was just.......slightly imbalanced.

Good point, you gotta wonder how he knew ?

The Romulans are extremely reclusive. Only they're military would probably have known so much detail.

But then, we don't know if somehow Romulan civilians do come into contact with Starfleet, like at a K7 type nuetral space station, which probably has a library, but then there's the nuetral zone which is supposed to keep Romulans in their corner of the galaxy and Star fleet in its. Hmmm....
Last edited by LaughingCheese on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

LaughingCheese wrote:The Romulans are extremely reclusive. Only they're military would probably have known so much detail.
Pre-Dominion War, sure. By the time of the technobbable supernova, however, the Romulans are evidently a lot less xenophobic - certainly Spock's operation seems as much aimed at saving Romulus specifically, rather than as a side effect of saving the rest of the galaxy. This seems to indicate that there have been considerable changes in the Empire since Shinzon's coup.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Captain Seafort wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:The Romulans are extremely reclusive. Only they're military would probably have known so much detail.
Pre-Dominion War, sure. By the time of the technobbable supernova, however, the Romulans are evidently a lot less xenophobic - certainly Spock's operation seems as much aimed at saving Romulus specifically, rather than as a side effect of saving the rest of the galaxy. This seems to indicate that there have been considerable changes in the Empire since Shinzon's coup.

We must assume then that Spock's reintegration campaign was at least partially successful, and humans and Romulans were able to intermingle before the supernovae.

Also, and I can't believe I haven't thought about this before, but if the supernovae was somehow galaxy wide, shouldn't there not be a Federation anymore ???

Realistically, Spock's black hole plan would only have sucked up a small portion of the blast, unless maybe he got to the star itself in time. :bangwall:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

LaughingCheese wrote:Realistically, Spock's black hole plan would only have sucked up a small portion of the blast, unless maybe he got to the star itself in time. :bangwall:
Realistically? :lol: You're talking about a supernova that was threatening the galaxy, and you're using the word "realistically"?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Captain Seafort wrote:
LaughingCheese wrote:Realistically, Spock's black hole plan would only have sucked up a small portion of the blast, unless maybe he got to the star itself in time. :bangwall:
Realistically? :lol: You're talking about a supernova that was threatening the galaxy, and you're using the word "realistically"?
Doh.. :bangwall:

Ok...perhaps, logically ? :P
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, Pike DID introduce himself as "Captain Christopher Pike", so it's not unrealistic for Nero to call him Christopher.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Oh....I had thought Nero spoke first. I guess i will have to watch it again.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I thought Nero was a complete idiot.

After going through the vortex you now have the most powerful and technologically advanced ship in the quadrant.
Your homeworld is going to be destroyed in 30 years by its star going nova.
You have "some" knowledge about future events (Borg, Dominion, etc)

Get your butt back to Romulus:
1. Reverse engineer the future tech and create a fleet that would dominate the quadrant.
2. Either stop the star from going nova or claim a new homeworld elsewhere.
3. Block the wormhole and stop the Dominion invasion.

The Romulans could have become THE superpower in the Alpha Quadrant. Nero waited around waiting for Spock to appear. Nero was a moron.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's... actually 100% correct.