Nero

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Re: Nero

Post by Lighthawk »

Dunno, how many captains told their crew that they were expected to sit around and do nothing for 1/8th of their life even though he knew exactly where and when the event he was waiting for would happen and had both the time and power to go off and do pretty much whatever they pleased until then?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Probably more of the maniacal, sociopathic ones (like Nero) than same types who brooked open criticism from their crews.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

Lighthawk wrote:Dunno, how many captains told their crew that they were expected to sit around and do nothing for 1/8th of their life even though he knew exactly where and when the event he was waiting for would happen and had both the time and power to go off and do pretty much whatever they pleased until then?
1 :bangwall:
ImageImage
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

alexmann wrote:
Lighthawk wrote:Dunno, how many captains told their crew that they were expected to sit around and do nothing for 1/8th of their life even though he knew exactly where and when the event he was waiting for would happen and had both the time and power to go off and do pretty much whatever they pleased until then?
1 :bangwall:
As deleted scenes and Word of God will tell you, evidently Nero and his crew spent most of the intervening time in Rura Penthe when the Klingons picked them up after Narada was disabled.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
alexmann
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by alexmann »

I've never watched the deleted scenes. Anyway i'm an atheist so word of god doesn't work either! :happydevil: :happydevil:
ImageImage
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

alexmann wrote:I've never watched the deleted scenes. Anyway i'm an atheist so word of god doesn't work either! :happydevil: :happydevil:
:lol: :lol: -- Well played. For this purpose, "Word of God" is used to describe information coming from official sources in the staff of the show, i.e. Producers/Writers/Etc. Also, if you recall, Uhura mentions a distress call from a "Klingon Prison Planet" just before our Spock reappears. Filmed, (and included in deleted scenes IIRC) is Neros escape from Rura Penthe.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

Deleted scenes don't mean anything; they aren't a part of the story. Secondary literature (some silly comic) doesn't mean anything either. The movie's story should be capable of standing on its own without requiring the viewer spend additional time and money on pointless ancillary cruft. This movie fails to do that. In fact, even calling what this movie has a "story" is giving it way too much credit, since stories usually make at least some small amount of sense.

EDIT: not that the comics or deleted scenes or whatever actually clarify the story; in fact, they only make it more stupid. How did Nero effect a prison break and retake control of his ship? Klingon prison security would have to be worse than the daycare in Toy Story 3. And I doubt the Klingons would just leave some highly advanced, futuristic technology just lying around for Nero and his band of idiots to casually stroll in and reassert their control over. A modern day analogy would be some convict in a military prison breaking out and seizing control of a U.S. Navy aircraft carrier.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I understand the personal nature of his anger. However, we are not talking about a week, or even a month when the personal grief is still strong. Years and years and years and years... If anything, that supports my position that he is a moron. I am not thinking that he suddenly would have delusions of grandeur and want to rule Romulus and/or the Alpha Quadrant. But at some point one would expect anyone with any intelligence to realize that he would be able to achieve his ends through better means than just hanging out quietly for decades. Rational thinking would win out at some point, unless you’re a moron. See: Nero.

i do not think that lifespan has anything to do with it. A day is still a day. A year is still a year.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

When talking about revenge, there is no such thing as rational thought.

He wasn't a moron. He was an emotionally disturbed individual who had no method of expressing his grief.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

stitch626 wrote:He was an emotionally disturbed individual who had no method of expressing his grief.
Vulcan would beg to disagree. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
stitch626 wrote:He was an emotionally disturbed individual who had no method of expressing his grief.
Vulcan would beg to disagree. :P
Well, no constructive method of expressing his grief.

Better?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think the grief/revenge thing is being overstated here. The guy killed a planet after, as Jim mentioned, many many years. That's not an act of vengeance, even misplaced vengeance - that's an act of a textbook DSM-V personality disorder writ large.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote: That's not an act of vengeance, even misplaced vengeance - that's an act of a textbook DSM-V personality disorder writ large.
Is there a rule that prevents it being both? I doubt anyone would be entirely compos mentis after their entire species was annihilated.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote: That's not an act of vengeance, even misplaced vengeance - that's an act of a textbook DSM-V personality disorder writ large.
Is there a rule that prevents it being both? I doubt anyone would be entirely compos mentis after their entire species was annihilated.
It can only be considered as the former in the the mind of someone who is, as you say, non compos mentis in the form of the latter.
as Bull offed Custer