Nero

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Nero

Post by Victory is Life »

I just rewatched it on Blu-Ray, and it still looks great, but one problem with the movie, at least from my vantage point, was Nero, or Eric bana as Nero, however it should be taken. What I mean by that is I couldn't really connect with him. Everything seemed forced, and the character didn't feel fleshed out, or real, not even his anger...I don't know, am I the only one who feels this way? Khan to me was way more badass, and he only lost his wife and some of his crew, but Nero lost an entire planet, and his family...To me I think the audience should have felt his pain and desire for vengeance a little more...anyway my two cents.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Nero

Post by Mikey »

I agree. I don't really know if it was the writing of the character or Bana's performance, but he felt very 2-D. The greatest villains, especially ones with backstories like Nero's engender a modicum of sympathy - but Nero just felt wooden.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Mikey wrote:I agree. I don't really know if it was the writing of the character or Bana's performance, but he felt very 2-D. The greatest villains, especially ones with backstories like Nero's engender a modicum of sympathy - but Nero just felt wooden.

Wooden was exactly the word I was looking for...
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I lost interest in him during his interrogation of Pike. His yell of "It did happen, don't tell me it didn't happen" was one of the worst delivered lines in cinema. There was absolutely no passion or fire to him.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think they went to much with shouty shouty and not enough of actual genuine emotion. Whether that's the writing, or it's Eric Bana's performance, who knows? This is why my favourite trek villain is STILL Ricardo Montalban's Khan. Emotion and fire, excellently delivered lines...
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Reliant121 wrote:I think they went to much with shouty shouty and not enough of actual genuine emotion. Whether that's the writing, or it's Eric Bana's performance, who knows? This is why my favourite trek villain is STILL Ricardo Montalban's Khan. Emotion and fire, excellently delivered lines...
"You STILL remember, I cannot help...But be touched, and I of course remember you..."
- Female Changeling
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

I actually didn't mind Nero, and his lack of emotion. To me it fit the bill of someone who's been driven completely around the bend, and is now essentially devoid of his humanity ... er, Romulanity. It always seems to me that people who criticize Nero's motivations, or his plan, or even his acting tend to forget: He was batsh*t f*cking crazy!

Of course, so was Khan, but in a different way. Khan had time to stew and develop a grudge.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Sonic Glitch wrote:I actually didn't mind Nero, and his lack of emotion. To me it fit the bill of someone who's been driven completely around the bend, and is now essentially devoid of his humanity ... er, Romulanity. It always seems to me that people who criticize Nero's motivations, or his plan, or even his acting tend to forget: He was batsh*t f*cking crazy!

Of course, so was Khan, but in a different way. Khan had time to stew and develop a grudge.
So did Nero, he had 20 years in a Klingon Prison!
- Female Changeling
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

IMO, a performance that to me didn't really show itself well or was poor in the face of other performances cannot simply be excused by the fact "he's a bit loopy" unless it specifically made comment in the film that "wow, this guy is cold". It seemed that he was intended to be emotional and angry, but never showed anything that allowed us to connect on an emotional level.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

IMO, Nero was miscast.

But I've never cared for Mr. Bana as an actor.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Mark wrote:IMO, Nero was miscast.

He even bombed in The Hulk.
- Female Changeling
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I liked him in Munich and Troy. Especially Munich.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Victory is Life wrote:
Mark wrote:IMO, Nero was miscast.

He even bombed in The Hulk.

Agreed. He made Bruce Banner look like he was throwing a temper tantraum rather than getting angry.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Sonic Glitch wrote:I actually didn't mind Nero, and his lack of emotion. To me it fit the bill of someone who's been driven completely around the bend, and is now essentially devoid of his humanity ... er, Romulanity. It always seems to me that people who criticize Nero's motivations, or his plan, or even his acting tend to forget: He was batsh*t f*cking crazy!

Khan was also genetically engineered to be a warrior: calculating, clever, a tactician who planned his moves like a chess player. Nero was the captain of a mining vessel. Had a more industrial oriented training. Different standards between the two. Khan was a patient man who waited for the right moment to strike. Nero was more of the "smash it with a blunt instrument" type of person. At least that's how I read him.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I suppose in many ways it's probably quite realistic a portrayal. I just think it could have included more emotion instead of just raghhh whenever everything he didn't like happens.