Deleted scenes

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Deleted scenes

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Some fascinating deleted scenes from Trek XI are on Youtube. May be old hat to you, but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrLU3DU-ycM&NR=1

I like seeing this side of Kirk, for example. He comes across as cocky and arrogant in the movie a lot, and it's nice to see that he also has the humility to do things like this and take it on the chin when he deserves it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2NTsD1IFyA&NR=1

And again... in the original child version of Kirk comes across as a kid often in trouble with the law, a rebel who breaks the rules. In fact this scene establishes that he's anything but that, and that the car stunt was an act of sheer desperation on his part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXKiGZzG ... re=related

Spock being born. This is just cute as hell.

There are some others, but these are my favourites. I love little character moments like this :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Re: Deleted scenes

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

The animation for the bug at the start of the 3rd video is BAD.

but otherwise, you are right. Very nice videos. Albeit the 3rd is different from Spock's birth depicted in ST V
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'm about 99% sure that the bug effect is a "first pass". Let the director try the scene out and see how it looks before you spend the money to do a full resolution rendering. You often see stuff like that on deleted scenes.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

I guessed as much. Still bad animation :poke:

But it was nice. However, I still don't know how I feel about Spock being born differently than depicted in Star Trek V. Also, let's not forget that Cybok exists in this timeline too, because.. well, AFAIK, Spock is older than Kirk (no?) so everything preceding Kirk's birth is exactly the same than in the original timeline...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:everything preceding Kirk's birth is exactly the same than in the original timeline...
Not at all. Whether there's a specific additional point of divergence or whether the Abramsverse is utterly disconnected from the Geneverse is unclear, but there are certainly far, far more differences between the two than those caused by Nero's appearance - the size of the E-nil and the Kelvin being the most obvious.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

The size of the E-Nil can be explained by the change the Kelvin's destruction had on Starfleet's policy, I believe it has been explained.

I don't understand your point about the Kelvin's size. Did we saw one of these ship classes before?
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

IIRC the problem with the kelvins size is the fact that its considerably larger than ships from the gene-verse.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SolkaTruesilver wrote:The size of the E-Nil can be explained by the change the Kelvin's destruction had on Starfleet's policy, I believe it has been explained.
No, it can't. Ships do not jump in size by an order of magnitude within a single generation, especially in the near-stasis of Trek. The GCS was considered a very large ship when the E-D was commissioned, and she's about the same size as the neo-E, if not a bit smaller.
I don't understand your point about the Kelvin's size. Did we saw one of these ship classes before?
No, but the fact that a mere science vessel in the Abramsverse is bigger than a Geneverse battleship, when Trek has previously shown science vessels to be much smaller than contemporary warships, shows that the two universes were operating on completely different scales even before Nero's arrival.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Captain Seafort wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:The size of the E-Nil can be explained by the change the Kelvin's destruction had on Starfleet's policy, I believe it has been explained.
No, it can't. Ships do not jump in size by an order of magnitude within a single generation, especially in the near-stasis of Trek. The GCS was considered a very large ship when the E-D was commissioned, and she's about the same size as the neo-E, if not a bit smaller.
the GSC was, in the Geneverse.

Secondly, the "near-stasis" of Trek is not a valid argument. Just because it has been depicted in the previous timeline doesn't mean it happened in this timeline too.

The explanation I read (I don't remember where tho) is that after the Kelvin's destruction, Starfleet's priorities quickly changed to a more militaristic approach to be able to face threats like this mysterious super-battleship that destroyed the Kelvin so quickly. So it'd make sense to have bigger, stronger warships than in the original Trekverse.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Secondly, the "near-stasis" of Trek is not a valid argument. Just because it has been depicted in the previous timeline doesn't mean it happened in this timeline too.

The explanation I read (I don't remember where tho) is that after the Kelvin's destruction, Starfleet's priorities quickly changed to a more militaristic approach to be able to face threats like this mysterious super-battleship that destroyed the Kelvin so quickly. So it'd make sense to have bigger, stronger warships than in the original Trekverse.
And where exactly did they magically acquire the infrastructure, materials science and design expertise required to construct a ship an order of magnitude beyond their demonstrated capabilities? The political decision to build a ship of a given size is irrelevant if the technical ability to construct it does not exist. Your version requires a nation capable of building a Leander deciding to construct a Yamato instead - it's nonsensical.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Overnight, you would be right. But they still had 20 years to go back to the drawing board and change their whole design philosophy and priority. Rather than going for fancy scientific sensors, they went for better weaponry and power output, structural fields, etc...

20 years. That's ennough for them to have a ship an order of magnitude bigger than previously, IMHO. If the U.S. decided to create a submarine 8 times heavier than the ones they use right now, I am sure it would take less than 20 years to come up with it.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Overnight, you would be right. But they still had 20 years to go back to the drawing board and change their whole design philosophy and priority. Rather than going for fancy scientific sensors, they went for better weaponry and power output, structural fields, etc...
You forget that the E-nil was not a floating hotel-cum-science lab as the GCS was. She was a warship sent out exploring, built in an age when Starfleet was constantly preparing for war with the Klingon Empire. She already was the most powerful ship Starfleet could build.
20 years. That's enough for them to have a ship an order of magnitude bigger than previously, IMHO. If the U.S. decided to create a submarine 8 times heavier than the ones they use right now, I am sure it would take less than 20 years to come up with it.
Possibly. They could not, however, build a Typhoon instead of Nautilus. You're getting confused between building a bigger ship using a smaller one as a starting point, and building the bigger ship in the same time period that they actually built the smaller one.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Captain Seafort wrote: Possibly. They could not, however, build a Typhoon instead of Nautilus. You're getting confused between building a bigger ship using a smaller one as a starting point, and building the bigger ship in the same time period that they actually built the smaller one.
But they did not built a bigger Enterprise using the original as a starting point.

they build the Enterprise way bigger than in the original timeline. Period. That's how the Enterprise always have been designed (in the new timeline). Probably a massic Command Flagship meant to be the central point of a 30+ ship task force.

It's like they have decided to go for a different starship design philosphy entirely, but keeping the same shapes and names than they original had. Otherwise, it's an entirely different ship.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

SolkaTruesilver wrote:But they did not built a bigger Enterprise using the original as a starting point.

they build the Enterprise way bigger than in the original timeline. Period.
Correct. However that difference is not possible with a point of departure of 2233. Therefore either a) there is no connection between the Abramsverse and the Geneverse or b) the split between the two occurred a long time before Nero showed up.
It's like they have decided to go for a different starship design philosphy entirely, but keeping the same shapes and names than they original had. Otherwise, it's an entirely different ship.
It's far more than just a design philosophy - the neo-E is far more advanced than the E-nil, most obviously in terms of materials science.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Oh fuck, not this again.

The animation on the bug wasn't bad. It was just a single walk cycle. Again, they just did the bare bones to get it in there and let the director yay or nay it before blowing the cash to make it work.