Deleted scenes

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Re: Deleted scenes

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Tyyr wrote:Oh f**k, not this again.
Eh. I haven't been there when said debate happened, so it's not like I know the arguments that have already been thrown around, no?

And Captain Seaford, pure-canon wise, there is only a point of divergence, and it's the Kelvin's destruction. Nothing to indicate otherwise.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:Eh. I haven't been there when said debate happened, so it's not like I know the arguments that have already been thrown around, no?
Doesn't stop it from being a retread of an argument that was had long ago.

If you want to plunge pig headedly into this thing then your argument is that Starfleet had the ability to create ships bigger than anything we've seen Starfleet ever do*. Then for some totally unexplained reason they decided to start making starships less than a tenth the previous size and only now are starting to get anywhere near duplicating the size of ship they could produce over a hundred years before.

*Remember, the Neo-E isn't even the biggest ship in the fleet. Remember the debris field around Vulcan and the truly titanic sized saucer the Neo-E had to dodge?
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote: If you want to plunge pig headedly into this thing then your argument is that Starfleet had the ability to create ships bigger than anything we've seen Starfleet ever do*. Then for some totally unexplained reason they decided to start making starships less than a tenth the previous size and only now are starting to get anywhere near duplicating the size of ship they could produce over a hundred years before.
I don't get that argument?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

SolkaTruesilver wrote: And Captain Seaford, pure-canon wise, there is only a point of divergence, and it's the Kelvin's destruction. Nothing to indicate otherwise.
I've heard this said before, and I don't understand the rationale. IIRC, it was never stated in the film that the Kelvin's destruction was the point of divergence between the prime universe and the Abramsverse. Not only is there no substantive canon for the PoD, the film itself indicates that the PoD is considerably earlier: most tellingly, the fact that a ship the size of the neo-E - far beyond the ken of prime-universe Starfleet - was already out of R&D, debugged, prototyped, and well into a main production run... a process that could easily take decades.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mikey wrote: I've heard this said before, and I don't understand the rationale. IIRC, it was never stated in the film that the Kelvin's destruction was the point of divergence between the prime universe and the Abramsverse. Not only is there no substantive canon for the PoD, the film itself indicates that the PoD is considerably earlier: most tellingly, the fact that a ship the size of the neo-E - far beyond the ken of prime-universe Starfleet - was already out of R&D, debugged, prototyped, and well into a main production run... a process that could easily take decades.
It did take decades. The Enterprise just been commissioned during the Vulcan attack (I think they mention "the new Flagship"). 2 decades, which doesn't make it far-fetched for an organisation with as much tech and science capacity as the Federation.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Something I just thought of, maybe instead of building more of a lot of little ships, they decided to build less of a lot of big ships. Then it would be easier to accomplish the feat of such large ships due to not trying to pump out a ton of small ships.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:I don't get that argument?
The Kelvin is a very large ship. The NCC-1701 in TOS is not. Mass wise the TOS Enterprise is at best maybe 1/5th the Kelvin's tonnage and the Kelvin is probably the smallest Federation ship we see in XI. The Neo-E is significantly larger still, 20 times the TOS ship's tonnage, and we see at least one ship that's even larger than the Neo-E.

So the Federation at the time of the Narrada's appearance is capable of producing ships that are tremendously larger, more than an order of magnitude larger, than the ships we see in TOS. Yet for some reason Starfleet goes from producing these huge ships and suddenly starts making them comparatively tiny and KEEPS making them tiny even up until "present" day in the time line when they're still making ships that are smaller than they could make over a century before.

That's what suggesting that the point of divergence is the Narada's appearance leads to.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Indeed. Even taking into account this argument:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:
Mikey wrote: I've heard this said before, and I don't understand the rationale. IIRC, it was never stated in the film that the Kelvin's destruction was the point of divergence between the prime universe and the Abramsverse. Not only is there no substantive canon for the PoD, the film itself indicates that the PoD is considerably earlier: most tellingly, the fact that a ship the size of the neo-E - far beyond the ken of prime-universe Starfleet - was already out of R&D, debugged, prototyped, and well into a main production run... a process that could easily take decades.
It did take decades. The Enterprise just been commissioned during the Vulcan attack (I think they mention "the new Flagship"). 2 decades, which doesn't make it far-fetched for an organisation with as much tech and science capacity as the Federation.
then Starfleet would still have to have both a history and a capacity of building ships that size; ergo, they must have been the Abramsverse Starfleet for some time.
as Bull offed Custer
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Didn't someone come up with First Contact as a possible point of divergence? Cochran was a pretty influential figure after First Contact, his experiences could well have influenced the future.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

kostmayer wrote:Didn't someone come up with First Contact as a possible point of divergence? Cochran was a pretty influential figure after First Contact, his experiences could well have influenced the future.
Yep, in one of our prior conversations. IIRC, it was a fairly convincing argument, too.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:And Captain Seaford, pure-canon wise, there is only a point of divergence, and it's the Kelvin's destruction. Nothing to indicate otherwise.
1) It's Seafort, idiot, with a 't'. Learn to spell it right.

2) The Kelvin's destruction is a point of divergence.

3) There's plenty of evidence to indicate another PoD - the size of the neo-E being the strongest.
Tyyr wrote:Oh f**k, not this again.
This again. We can add it to the same list as the purpose of Starfleet, the role of the GCS, MVAM and Borg drone KE shields.
Tyyr wrote:*Remember, the Neo-E isn't even the biggest ship in the fleet. Remember the debris field around Vulcan and the truly titanic sized saucer the Neo-E had to dodge?
That wasn't necessarily from a ship - it might have been from a space station such as the one we saw over Earth.
Mikey wrote:
kostmayer wrote:Didn't someone come up with First Contact as a possible point of divergence? Cochran was a pretty influential figure after First Contact, his experiences could well have influenced the future.
Yep, in one of our prior conversations. IIRC, it was a fairly convincing argument, too.
It's certainly a possibility, but there isn't enough evidence to pin the PoD down to a specific event, merely that it was a long time before the Kelvin incident. It might well have been an event we never heard of in the Geneverse.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Indeed, I recall making the point that even the span of time depicted in FC was far to broad to call "the" PoD, and that it was probably impossible to pinpoint the exact point. However, I just mentioned it to validate Kostmayer's post and to indicate that there arguments for earlier PoD's at least as strong as the one for the Kelvin's destruction being the point.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:1) It's Seafort, idiot, with a 't'. Learn to spell it right.
Man, you're going to need some industrial-sized tongs to get your panties out of a bunch today.
Captain Seafort wrote:
Tyyr wrote:*Remember, the Neo-E isn't even the biggest ship in the fleet. Remember the debris field around Vulcan and the truly titanic sized saucer the Neo-E had to dodge?
That wasn't necessarily from a ship - it might have been from a space station such as the one we saw over Earth.
I agree with SeaEdsel on this one. It could certainly have been a station.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:SeaEdsel
:laughroll:
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Too easy? :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939