STXI Nit

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

STXI Nit

Post by stitch626 »

Just watched it at school last night, and I noticed something.

In the opening, after the Kelvin first gets hit by uber torp number one, the chief engineer (I think it was the chief) reported weapons offline. Then, a few second later, they fired weapons.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: STXI Nit

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Yeah, I'd caught that too. That scene, while exiting and visually stimulating, wasn't the most consistent ever filmed. I also sometimes wonder why, after Kelvin's weapons went down and George Kirk decided to ram the Narada, she wasn't destroyed by torps before she hit? Unlike Spock's warp ship, she didn't have Big E clearing a path for her!

Really, it was a miracle that this ship survived while a whole armada of stronger ships from the future was cannon fodder for Narada...
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:I also sometimes wonder why, after Kelvin's weapons went down and George Kirk decided to ram the Narada, she wasn't destroyed by torps before she hit?
Because, while the Narada's powerful, she isn't that powerful - the Kelvin was getting shot to pieces, but not quickly enough to destroy her before she hit.
Really, it was a miracle that this ship survived while a whole armada of stronger ships from the future was cannon fodder for Narada...
The Kelvin didn't survive, and the ships over Vulcan weren't utterly destroyed - they were reduced to hulks, but that's not the same as being completed ripped apart, which is what would have been required to stop the Kelvin's run.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:The Kelvin didn't survive,
Well, survive as long as she did, I meant. It's hard to be sure how long it was between when the rest of the fleet arrived before Enterprise did, but the impression I get was that those ships were turned into hulks a lot sooner than Kelvin was (that battle was already over when Enterprise arrived!). Of course, on reflection you are right that Kelvin was already a hulk by the time she impacted, but Narada seemed to do that to a larger number of bigger and stronger ships in not much more time, and Kelvin did last long enough to both launch and protect all those shuttles.

Maybe the Narada was intent on simply rendering the ships useless (that's efficient strategy - why bother devastating them once they're already dead in space?), or the shuttles Kelvin launched themselves drew fire from Kelvin herself. OTOH, the main strength of Narada's torps was their ability to defeat shields, they weren't that powerful against the ships themselves...
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

or the shuttles Kelvin launched themselves drew fire from Kelvin herself.
yes they did. You can see the Kelvin shooting down torps meant for the shuttles for a brief second.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

stitch626 wrote:
or the shuttles Kelvin launched themselves drew fire from Kelvin herself.
yes they did. You can see the Kelvin shooting down torps meant for the shuttles for a brief second.
Yes, I remember that shot.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I guess it's not impossible that she lost weapons and then a repair crew managed to restore them, is it?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

True... it could have been a few seconds fluctuation in the power grid that temporarily killed power to the weapons...
It still isn't a nice hole for them to leave.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I suppose the full speed run may have gotten the Kelvin inside the Narada's field of fire, allowing it to survive until impact.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Mark wrote:I suppose the full speed run may have gotten the Kelvin inside the Narada's field of fire, allowing it to survive until impact.
I did think of that too (that for Spock's twirl-a-ma-ship too), too! Though, Kelvin hung on quite nicely to make it that far I thought.

Also, the opening battle is uber cool of course, but it's sort of odd that for all the fire Kelvin pours out we really never see where most of it is going! We can surmise it didn't do much to the Narada herself...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Well the Narada was really big. A great quantity of fire could have struck it with no two shots impacting the same place; and the vast majority of incoming fire was likely to have struck non-vital points.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Also, it seemed that the majority of the Kelvins fire was directed at the torps of doom coming at it and the shuttles.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

well, most of the weapons the Kelvin fired seemed like Point-Defense weapons, made specifically with torpedoes and small craft interception in mind, so it's likely that even if those weapons fired, they were less powerful then the standard Phasers while having a greater ROF...
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I just noticed a nit of my own. When Kirk and Spock beam to the Narada..........their phasers have "kicks". What logical sense can a phaser have a recoil?????
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Mark wrote:I just noticed a nit of my own. When Kirk and Spock beam to the Narada..........their phasers have "kicks". What logical sense can a phaser have a recoil?????
In all logical sense, a Nadion is a particle, which has energy, and a mass, and ever action has an equal an opposite reaction... So why wouldn't it.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang