Terran defence

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Terran defence

Post by Mark »

I assumed it referred to the codes that needed to be entered via subspace to deactivate the defense grid.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Perhaps the defence grid is some sort of planetary shield? It would explain why Nero's super-ship capable of wiping out entire fleets of enemy vessels would need to codes to deactivate it. Can't bust the planet if you can't touch it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

That would make double sense. A, why they needed the codes and B, that they used shields to protect their planet.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Deepcrush wrote:That would make double sense...
Then that can't be it. Regardless of universe this is still Starfleet! :poke: :P

I just figured it was a sensor grid and he was trying to find the equivelant to the Feds IFF frequencies (if they have them)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
dagadget
Senior chief petty officer
Senior chief petty officer

Post by dagadget »

Rochey wrote:We've no idea what it is. Personaly I'm leaning towards some sort of AWAC system.

The Narada may have been more powerful than any other ship the UFP had available at the time, but it was far from invincable, and could still be damaged. Avoiding damage, particularly when the means to repair it may not be available to you, is smart.
Also, the Narada's armament seemed to consist of torpedoes of some sort. Running out of them may be a problem. Thus combat should be avoided if possible.

It sure would have been interesting to see what Narada would do if it accidentally pulled a Sovereign class star ship back with it. especially if they had equipped it with Ablative Armour and Transphasic torpedoes. I think Narada would not have much chance then
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Nothing has a chance against TransTorps.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Evidence? The only ships we've seen taken out by TTs are a couple of Borg cubes, which have always been highly vulnerable to attacks by unknown weapons.

Quite apart from the fact that we've no evidence whatsoever that the Feds were able to reverse engineer the armour and torps, and some good evidence (their absence from Nemesis) that they were unable to do so.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Evidence? The only ships we've seen taken out by TTs are a couple of Borg cubes, which have always been highly vulnerable to attacks by unknown weapons.
Trans-----phase----ic----

Simple guess is they are out of phase with normal reality. The Borg shields or anyone else's shields meaningless.
Quite apart from the fact that we've no evidence whatsoever that the Feds were able to reverse engineer the armour and torps, and some good evidence (their absence from Nemesis) that they were unable to do so.
Maybe not... but he was asking a What If. So it doesn't matter if the UFP could or couldn't produce them since maybe they just have one or two they took from Voy.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Trans-----phase----ic----

Simple guess is they are out of phase with normal reality. The Borg shields or anyone else's shields meaningless.
So Photon torpedoes are massless particles and quantum torpedoes take every possible path to the target do they? The name is irrelevent - the fact is that we only saw them used against the Borg, with the expectation that they would be successful (at least initially - Admiral Janeway seemed to expect the Borg to adapt rapidly once they analysed their sensor readings).
Maybe not... but he was asking a What If. So it doesn't matter if the UFP could or couldn't produce them since maybe they just have one or two they took from Voy.
It's a "what if" that's utterly meaningless if there's no evidence of Sovs carrying those weapons. Pulling a Sov through, fair enough, but we don't have any evidence that they carry TTs, or that they'd be as effective against non-Borg craft as against the Borg even if they were carried.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:So Photon torpedoes are massless particles and quantum torpedoes take every possible path to the target do they? The name is irrelevent - the fact is that we only saw them used against the Borg, with the expectation that they would be successful (at least initially - Admiral Janeway seemed to expect the Borg to adapt rapidly once they analysed their sensor readings).
Ok, you don't like the name. Prove it wrong. Otherwise tough luck.
Captain Seafort wrote:It's a "what if" that's utterly meaningless if there's no evidence of Sovs carrying those weapons. Pulling a Sov through, fair enough, but we don't have any evidence that they carry TTs, or that they'd be as effective against non-Borg craft as against the Borg even if they were carried.
Again, its a What If. Pull the cock out of your ass and either deal with the question or shush.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Ok, you don't like the name. Prove it wrong. Otherwise tough luck.
You're the one who's trying to claim that TTs are effective against ships other than the Borg. Burden of proof is on you.
Again, its a What If. Pull the cock out of your ass and either deal with the question or shush.
What ifs are fair enough, but when you start piling what ifs on what ifs you get too far away from the solid evidence to be able to have a decent stab at analysis. In this case we've got three - "what if a Sovereign was dragged back with the Narada", "what if it had batmobile armour and TTs" and "what if TTs were significantly more powerful than standard weapons".
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:You're the one who's trying to claim that TTs are effective against ships other than the Borg. Burden of proof is on you.
Fair enough... You have a weapon that bypasses the shields of the most powerful race in the Galaxy (not counting the Voth since we've never seen them in combat or 8472 since they aren't part of the galaxy and die by PTs). :roll:

Was that so hard to figure?
"what if a Sovereign was dragged back with the Narada",
One future ship vs another is a fair question.
"what if it had batmobile armour and TTs"
Not hard to reach that maybe they took the stuff from Voy and put it on an advanced test ship. IE, a Sov.
"what if TTs were significantly more powerful than standard weapons".
Ok... phasers and PTs take little chunks out of the Borg, QTs take bigger chunks, TTs blow apart cubes in single hits and 6 can bring down a Borg Transwarp Hub. That counts as being a bittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt more powerful. Just a tiny bit mind you... :laughroll:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think the question is that a Sovereign being brought back was posited; but Sovs as we know from canon didn't have ablative armor generators or TT's. Why should we assume that this hypothetical one did?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:I think the question is that a Sovereign being brought back was posited; but Sovs as we know from canon didn't have ablative armor generators or TT's. Why should we assume that this hypothetical one did?
He didn't ask about Ablative Armor Generators. That was Seafort's add on. As to TT, why couldn't a hypothetical ship have a hypothetical armament?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

It could. It's just that he said, "What if a Sovereign..." not "What if a Sovereign with transphasic torpedoes..." The language of the first example implies a typical Sovereign, as we've seen in the films.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer