Terran defence

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Terran defence

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lazar wrote:GK has suggested that the transwarp drive that the Excelsior had in STIII was a TNG style warp drive.
I like that idea.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

If so, then I assume it worked :wink:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
dagadget
Senior chief petty officer

Post by dagadget »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Given that it's apparently possible to deactivate the defences remotely, they pretty much have to be largely or entirely automated. Simple static minefields don't make a lot of sense in space, but "torpedo mine" equivalents could work, along with automated defence platforms carrying phasers, perhaps a planetary shield system. I think such things are waste of resources myself, but Starfleet may think differently.
Probably they would build this stuff, keep it in reserve status and deploy it when the action gets hot. Seen this sort of stuff in DS9 during the Dominion war......Chintoka comes to mind......
dagadget

Post by dagadget »

Lazar wrote:GK has suggested that the transwarp drive that the Excelsior had in STIII was a TNG style warp drive.
Now this idea has merit new engine new speed scale. to bad they did not do anything more with it after the movie
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

dagadget wrote:
Now this idea has merit new engine new speed scale. to bad they did not do anything more with it after the movie
IU, there may have been no call to reference it. In the US, for example, the paradigm of measuring automotive speed in miles per hour is so commonplace that we speak of going "70," not necessarily "70 mph." Likewise, what would cause a character in TNG to say, "Go to Warp 8 - by which I mean 8 on the new transwarp scale, which was established after the construction of the original Excelsior"?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:
IU, there may have been no call to reference it. In the US, for example, the paradigm of measuring automotive speed in miles per hour is so commonplace that we speak of going "70," not necessarily "70 mph." Likewise, what would cause a character in TNG to say, "Go to Warp 8 - by which I mean 8 on the new transwarp scale, which was established after the construction of the original Excelsior"?
Well Data might....
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Did anyone cover the differences in weapons for seafort yet?

Also,

Did the warp scale change between TOS and TNG?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It did indeed. If memory serves, in TOS we once heard a refference to going to Warp 15 at one point. As Warp 10 is ludicrous speed by the time of TNG, it seems they've changed it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Deepcrush wrote:Did the warp scale change between TOS and TNG?
In the "Calculators" section GK has two scales: the "Cochrane" scale and the "TNG" scale...
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Actually I think the only reason this scene occurred was to fulfill the 'obligatory interrogation scene' role. :D

In other words, Starfleet has no defense grid, as was clearly evident. :P

Or someone was asleep at the weel... :lol:
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Don't see how the grid could have posed a threat to the Narada anyway.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Don't see how the grid could have posed a threat to the Narada anyway.
Given that we don't see any evidence regarding its composition or strength, I don't see now you can claim that. We saw that a full salvo from the neoE was enough to inflict serious damage on the Narada, and that's only a starship. Scale that sort of firepower up to something the size of spacedock, or the station we saw in the film, or dozens of neoE-sized platforms, and you're looking at quite a punch.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

On a ship that just suffered massive damage, yes. Remember this same ship plowed through 47 Klingon warships with no noticable effect
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mark wrote:Remember this same ship plowed through 47 Klingon warships with no noticable effect
And? We have no evidence whatsoever of the strength of Earth's defences. If it's designed to hold off thousands of Klingon ships, then the ability to go through 47 (of unknown type) isn't very impressive.

Plus, of course, we have the fact that Nero was rather keen to get his hands on the codes, suggesting that the defences were indeed strong enough to pose a threat to the Nerada.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Or that he thought they were. Whose to say he had any clue how strong they were, he may have just wanted them in case they were too strong against his ship.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang