Terran defence

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Terran defence

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:Fair enough... You have a weapon that bypasses the shields of the most powerful race in the Galaxy (not counting the Voth since we've never seen them in combat or 8472 since they aren't part of the galaxy and die by PTs).
"what if TTs were significantly more powerful than standard weapons".
Ok... phasers and PTs take little chunks out of the Borg, QTs take bigger chunks, TTs blow apart cubes in single hits and 6 can bring down a Borg Transwarp Hub. That counts as being a bittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt more powerful. Just a tiny bit mind you... :laughroll:
Exactly - they bypassed the shields and the cubes blew up. Just as phasers bypassed the shields in Q Who? and the probe blew up in Dark Frontier. Borg ships are notoriously vulnerable to unfamiliar weapons, and have a track record of self-destructing after minor damage or malfunction to avoid being captured.
"what if a Sovereign was dragged back with the Narada",
One future ship vs another is a fair question.
It is indeed a fair question. Unfortunately it's also not one that can be answered, as we never saw the Narada in action against anything quantifiable.
Not hard to reach that maybe they took the stuff from Voy and put it on an advanced test ship. IE, a Sov.
If they were going to test it on any Sov it would probably have been the E-E - the Enterprises have historically been used as Starfleet's guinea-pigs. However, there was no evidence of it in Nemesis, years after Voyager got home.
He didn't ask about Ablative Armor Generators. That was Seafort's add on.
dagadget wrote:It sure would have been interesting to see what Narada would do if it accidentally pulled a Sovereign class star ship back with it. especially if they had equipped it with Ablative Armour and Transphasic torpedoes.
As to TT, why couldn't a hypothetical ship have a hypothetical armament?
The Sov isn't a hypothetical ship - merely its presence is. The Endgame stuff has never been seen since, even on the most advanced ship in the fleet, and one whose predecessors have historically been used to test new add-on kit.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote: The Sov isn't a hypothetical ship - merely its presence is. The Endgame stuff has never been seen since, even on the most advanced ship in the fleet, and one whose predecessors have historically been used to test new add-on kit.
Since when? The only time we've seen something tested on the Enterprise is TOS with the M-5 Computer. Even Starfleets new warp drive program, which you think would be a great publicity stunt to put their best/fastest engine on an Enterprise, used a completely different ship. Starfleets first legitimate battleship program was also a completely new design. Bio-Neural Gel packs to enhance computer speed were first tested on the Intrepid-Class (i believe that's backstage info), and even the Enterprise-C was probably not the first ship to receive phaser strips, just a member of the first class to receive phaser strips.

What has been tested on the Big E other than the M-5?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Warp 5 engine on NX-01
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:Warp 5 engine on NX-01
Right. Thank You :-) But still: Pre-Fed and also the only "real" space ship earth had at the time.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Um... not really, what about the Intrepid, the Conestoga, and Neptune

They have warp drives, why wouldn't they test them on them?
The world ended

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:Um... not really, what about the Intrepid, the Conestoga, and Neptune

They have warp drives, why wouldn't they test them on them?
hence the quotes. If you were an admiral would you rip the guts out of a ship not designed to go Warp 5 and risk putting an over powered engine in it? The admiralty probably decided "hey, lets build a new long-range ship to do whateverthehell we're trying to do!"

:wink:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

me,myself and I wrote:What has been tested on the Big E other than the M-5?
Warp 5 engine
M-5
The first wargames trials (albeit not a specific technology)
Soliton drive (as a support ship)
The thingamie in Evolution

Hmm. Not as many as I first thought - probably getting mixed up between Starfleet stuff and the crew's own meddling.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Except that they were constantly making more ships, they didn't even think about trying it on any other ship, so it has been done, and the reason doesn't matter.

And what about the Enterprise-B with the new drive, that was a first time thing, and guess what, it's an Enterprise.
The world ended

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:Except that they were constantly making more ships, they didn't even think about trying it on any other ship, so it has been done, and the reason doesn't matter.

And what about the Enterprise-B with the new drive, that was a first time thing, and guess what, it's an Enterprise.
The E-B didn't have the new drive (AFAIK) the Excelsior did. ;-)
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

It was in Generations, wasn't it?
The world ended

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:It was in Generations, wasn't it?
It was, but nothing was ever said about some new-fangled drive. "The Great Experiment" premiered at the beginning of ST:III with the Transwarp Drive engine which we never heard of again.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Right, ok, I was wrong then, thought it was Generations... :oops:
The world ended

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nickswitz wrote:Right, ok, I was wrong then, thought it was Generations... :oops:
It happens :lol: If you want, we could get into the whole 'what happened w/ the great experiment" discussion, but that may require another thread... :happydevil:
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Well, it kinda worked, Scotty just didn't let it work... :lol:
The world ended

Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

GK has suggested that the transwarp drive that the Excelsior had in STIII was a TNG style warp drive.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."