Star Trek XII Villains

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs

Who would you like to see as the primary antagonists in Star Trek XII?

Klingons
18%
Romulans
6%
Gorn
12%
Tholians
27%
First Federation
3%
Parasites
12%
Section 31
3%
Mirror Universe
No votes
A new species
9%
An alliance of the above races
No votes
Other (please specify)
9%

Total votes: 33
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Star Trek XII Villains

Post by Tsukiyumi »

LaughingCheese wrote:A tad early for this thread? :lol:
I don't think so, no. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I earlier stated wrote:I may be wrong saying soulless, but they were always seen as nothing more than selfish bastards looking to 'get a buck' as the saying goes.
So yes, not soulless, but they were only really thinking of what they got out of it, not how they could possibly solve the situation without going into an all-out conflict. Khan, Soran, the Borg, the Son'a(I don't think they were going after it because of birthright stuff, they wanted to harvest the rings IIRC), and the Duras Sisters were all looking to gain from just attacking ships, without caring about what might happen later.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Khan honestly had no other way to resolve that. Kirk had nothing Khan wanted, except his life.

Anyways, I voted Tholian, mostly for the same reasons Stitch listed. They're mysterious, different, powerful, and cool (I think they could look awesome on the big screen), and since not much is known about them other than behavior, they're perfect for a new writing team to use. They could create a lot of their own information, without being under the shadow of canon as much.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Anyways, I voted Tholian, mostly for the same reasons Stitch listed. They're mysterious, different, powerful, and cool (I think they could look awesome on the big screen), and since not much is known about them other than behavior, they're perfect for a new writing team to use. They could create a lot of their own information, without being under the shadow of canon as much.
Tis true, could be quite fun to watch.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Gorn, or First Federation would be my second and third choices; the Gorn because they could also be great (if done right), and the FF if they were used in a more menacing way.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Having Tholians as the villains could be pretty cool. Lots of leeway there, due to the lack of any real info about them.

Though I like Nick's idea of having the UFP be the villains for once. Like INS done right, with real moral dilemas and a kick-ass fight scene as Fed loyalists clash with Fed Rebels. No black/white, just lots of shades of grey.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm all for pradigm shifts, but portraying the Feds as the baddies may be interesting to see but really goes against the whole ethos of the franchise. I agree with the Tholians - it's hard to trample canon when there is essentially none, and we've all explored many reasons why there should be more involvement.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Does it really go against the whole ethos of the franchise? I think it could be quite in keeping with the overall "message" of modern Trek.

Eg: Have S31 execute a coup to take over the government, and begin a massive re-armament programme for Starfleet. They manage to push back the UFP's enemies and bring safety and stability to the Federation, but with the cost of living under a military dictatorship. Themes of freedm versus safety there.
The hero can be the captain of an S31 battlecruiser, who initialy goes along with the coup as he believes it to be in the UFP's best interests, but eventualy defects to the surviving rebel Starfleet after his doubts grow to big to allow him to work for the new regime. Lots of different moral themes there.

Plus, lots of chances for fantastic battle scenes.
The coup itself, with a Pearl Harbour-esque ambush and destruction of those loyalist Starfleet ships that refuse to accept the new president's authority.
When the captain refuses to follow orders any more, his XO could attempt to relieve him of command, only to be shot by a loyal bridge officer. The death of the XO sparks a ship-wide civil war.
And, of course, the final showdown between the loyalist Starfleet and the S31 fleet over Earth.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I guess it works if you posit that there is a heroic return to "good" by a Fed crew. Without that - the UFP being entirely in the wrong from a particular POV - it's hella interesting, but very un-'Trek.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, hence my idea of a split between a loyalist and rebel faction.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Rochey wrote:Eg: Have S31 execute a coup to take over the government, and begin a massive re-armament programme for Starfleet. They manage to push back the UFP's enemies and bring safety and stability to the Federation, but with the cost of living under a military dictatorship. Themes of freedm versus safety there.
The hero can be the captain of an S31 battlecruiser, who initialy goes along with the coup as he believes it to be in the UFP's best interests, but eventualy defects to the surviving rebel Starfleet after his doubts grow to big to allow him to work for the new regime. Lots of different moral themes there.

Plus, lots of chances for fantastic battle scenes.
Funny, 'cause I had been imagining a Post-DW TNG movie, with the Klingon factions still opposed to the Feds (whom they see as responsible for their losses in the DW) alliying themselves with the Gorn Empire, still feeling the Feds stole some of their territory, and up to know never havng the power to do anything about it.
The Kling-Gorn alliance (bad pun intended :mrgreen: ) sees the Feds now after the DW as being vulnerable, and as being ripe for the taking.
The Rommies, still rheeling from the DW and the recent Shinzon debacle, the Cardies, now a third-rate power, are not in it, because for now they are no threat to the alliance.

What the Klingons don't know, is that Section 31 orchestrated all this with its agents, in order to bring a "new Order" in the Federation.
They do not believe the "alliance" has a chance of winning, but they will push starfleet to the brink or disaster.
S31 will then use the occasion for a "putch" and put someone more to their liking in office, and at the higher levels, aiming towards a more "powerful", more "militarily active" Federation.

Much drama, some "whodunnit" included, and many space battles.

I thought of using the TNG crew plus any other (Voyager, remaining DS9), but I'd make all the actors train before the movie.
Bring in a "realistic" fight coordinator (Jeff Imada from the Bourne trilogy), make sure Micheal Dorn buffs up for Worf, make sure all the physical capacities of Klingons are taken into account (greater resistance to pain and damage, greater strength, like needing two Fed Marines for one Klingon warrior), and create the Federation Marines, and improvement over the Macos.
I detachment per ship.
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I went for the Tholians. Their appearance (being in the show, not the crystalline spiders part, though that was cool too.) in Enterprise, even if it was the mirror universe, was very interesting.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Interesting concept, Praethorim.

Tyyr: Aye, the Tholians were one of the few things ENT did well.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Agreed.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

The ST XII Villains should be the crew of Voyager. :laughroll:
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.