Plasma stream engine

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Plasma stream engine

Post by Reliant121 »

Plasma stream engines are the most modern incarnation of sub-light interstellar, baring gravimetric engines, which only the Nishari are known to possess, and do not reveal to other races. Plasma stream technology is a good balance between efficiency, power and ease of maintenance.

Plasma is stored in large internal tanks of an interstellar vessel. It is effectively held in stasis within the plasma chambers, making it relatively dormant. Tanks vary in size, but a major warship such as a cruiser normally contains 2-4 tanks capable of holding 20,000 tonnes of compressed plasma between them. That amount of fuel is enough for an independent sub-light flight of 6 weeks without refill.

Plasma engines work via the pumping of plasma into a long armoured tube. Along the length of this compartment are thousands of tiny crystalline filaments. The crystal used is Bilithium, a conductor of positive and negative charges. Along the upper surface of the plasmatic chamber are several capacitors configured to store and discharge positive electrons. Once a certain charge is reached, the capacitor discharges this stream of electrons at the crystals. The Crystals magnify the electrical charge and fire it into the plasma chamber. The positive electrons then excite the plasma into a hyperactive state. The capacitors on the lower surface of the plasmatic chamber are configured to store negative electrons. The same effect applies to their entry. They help to regulate the number of hyperactive particles, by preventing them from becoming to active and causing damage to the reaction chamber. The excited plasma is then ejected from the rear of the plasma engine to provide thrust. The reaction chamber is open to space in order to cool it so the armour and metals in its construction do not melt due to the plasma. A coolant system is used for internally mounted plasma stream engines, but it is more complex and requires a more intricate sequence of systems.

The plasma stream engines are completely independent of the power reactor, no matter what type it be.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Plasma stream engine

Post by Mikey »

Interesting. I'm thinking that based on the usages of + and - you mean that the cations are the main thrust-producing particles in the plasma.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Once again, my lack of knowledge shows through. That would be an acceptable way of putting it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, I have now way of knowing in practice, but I assume that using positive charges to act on the free electrons would make the plasma less energetic, not more.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Indeed? hmm...That wasn't what I had intended. bugger. Why does mr. Dalwood not teach us this stuff in physics.

I suppose it could be that the positive/negative reaction creates energy in some way.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

No, it still works. What I meant was this: plasma is merely a gas comprising free electrons and their constituent cations (positive ions.) A influx of positive charges would repel the cations and presumably, in a closed finite chamber like yours, cause them to move faster - become hotter/more energetic. An influx of positive charges on the electrons would be attractive, and presumably "settle them down."
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Ahhh right. So in fact, I would be left with a considerable number of electrons after the cations have been ejected?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Unless you did something else with them. They're probably not massive enough to provide a huge amount of thrust, although I suspect you could harness them for electrical power.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Perhaps to power assist charging the batteries?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Why not? I assume the easiest thing to do would be to recycle them to recharge the crystals for the negative, control reaction in the drive. It would make that half of the engine at least somewhat self-sustaining.

Bear in mind, of course, that you're taking advice in controlling plasma reactions from a car salesman. :wink:
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Nahh, they'll make anything work =D

for bout 100 miles

JK. :D
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

The coolingsystem isn't going to work, I think. if you expose it directly to space, it is prone to be hit by weapons fire.

Second, where is the heat going to go from the plasma/ there are no particles to transfer it to, so the only way it can leak away is by radiation. that takes time.
Space is a vacüum. there is no matter. Temperature is the indicator of how hot or cold matter is. If there is no matter, there is no temperature. thus, it is even more complicated to cool your plasma.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The whole point is that the armour material that covers the plasma chamber is a conductive of heat. It still protects against most particle weaponry, but allows heat to be conducted via it.

Throughout science fiction we have sen weapons mounted externally to the hull in order to assist in cooling, Look at our battleship that we designed, the phaser lancew was mounted externally to the hull to assist in cooling.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

In other words, the whole chamber acts as its own heat sink? I like the idea, but as Shran said it would be slow to cool. Maybe invest in a an actual fluid radiator/refrigerant system.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I had tried to make the engine system as independent as possible, if possible I wanted to rig it completely independent of the power system itself. If a coolant system is required, then i'll edit it in.