ARIEL - Water-jet engine design

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

ARIEL - Water-jet engine design

Post by Reliant121 »

ARIEL article.

This is the basic principle behind water jet engines, the standard propulsion system of naval vessels.

Last edited by Captain Seafort on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged the title as ARIEL
Abraxas
Senior chief petty officer

Re: Water-jet engine design

Post by Abraxas »

Did you think of this? There are a few issues... namely the ridiculous amount of power you would need...
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Ever see or read Tom Clancy's The Hunt for Red October? I suggest you do.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Yes, but as a Naval Architect/Engineer in training, I think I'd know a few things about nautical propulsion... don't you?
"We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave..."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I made a mistake. This article should be tagged as an ARIEL article, therefore this is quite a distance into the future. Power is not a concern.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: ARIEL - Water-jet engine design

Post by Captain Seafort »

I've modified the title accordingly Reliant. I believe you can do so yourself if you want.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Reliant121 wrote:I made a mistake. This article should be tagged as an ARIEL article, therefore this is quite a distance into the future. Power is not a concern.
I see.

Didn't mean to jump up and down on it or anything. I just didn't know if you wanted to talk about the realism of such a technology... or if it was just a side thing. Thanks for the clarification.
- Hunter S. Thompson
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Abraxas wrote:Yes, but as a Naval Architect/Engineer in training, I think I'd know a few things about nautical propulsion... don't you?
My apologies, my post was direct at Reliant, not you.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

me,myself and I wrote:
Abraxas wrote:Yes, but as a Naval Architect/Engineer in training, I think I'd know a few things about nautical propulsion... don't you?
My apologies, my post was direct at Reliant, not you.
Mine too. I didn't mean to pounce on you like that.
- Hunter S. Thompson
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

We have Red October at home, i've not read the book, but i have seen the film. I've been eye-ing the book for ages, but at the moment i'm busy with Murasaki Shikibu's A tale of Genji.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Abraxas wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:I made a mistake. This article should be tagged as an ARIEL article, therefore this is quite a distance into the future. Power is not a concern.
I see.

Didn't mean to jump up and down on it or anything. I just didn't know if you wanted to talk about the realism of such a technology... or if it was just a side thing. Thanks for the clarification.

Ooooh I very much get the feeling this isnt feasible with current technology. And to be honest, I am no naval engineer. I wanted something more sophisticated than a propellor, but simple and easy. Power dont come much into it. Thankyou for the comment and taking note of it though.

BTW: Hunt for Red October is one of my FAVOURITE films ever.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Reliant121 wrote: BTW: Hunt for Red October is one of my FAVOURITE films ever.
I concur. Really how can it not be with Sean Connery (the Scotsmen) playing the Lithuanian Captain of a Russian Ballistic Missile Submarine---and pulling it off I might add! I love it. Oh, also the Voice of Darth Vader as an assistand director at the CIA.

One of my favorite lines: Ramius at breakfast: "Personally, I give us...1 chance in 3"{officers stare, there's a pause}..."More tea anyone"
Also, RAdml. Greer: "Now listen very closely, that torpedo did not self-destruct, you heard it hit the Hull...{show's CIA Credentials}....and I, was never here."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Yeah, I love how all those other actors, from all different countries put on Russian Accents, whilst Sean didn't have to bother.

And James Earl Jones can make any lines sound great.

Its always good to see Richard Jordan too, he was much underated as an actor.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."