Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Coalition Universe

Post by Graham Kennedy »

SPECIES : THE ZAKETH

PHYSICAL

The Zaketh are best described as a centaur version of a triceratops, and indeed the term "tricerataur" is a common nickname for this species amongst Humans. One of the largest sentient species known, the average Zaketh stands over four metres tall and is nearly five metres long. There are two major racial divisions within the species; the 'greens' and 'reds'. The terms refer to the skin colouration which is one of the two major differences between the races. Green Zaketh are also referred to as 'common', 'base', or in their own language 'nishtal'. Reds are referred to as 'Royal' Zaketh, or 'Zantar' in their language. As well as the skin colouring, Royal Zaketh are easily distinguishable by the prominent triceratops-like crest on their heads. Reds are also about 25% larger in all dimensions, on average. Approximately 95% of the Zaketh species are greens.

The Zaketh are immensely strong and robust. Their skin has natural armour plating similar to that employed by many dinosaur species, making them virtually immune to attack unless by a significant weapon. Injuries such as the loss of a limb regrow within weeks, while the Zaketh tolerance for pain is legendary.

CULTURAL

The Zaketh Empire is widely recognised as the strongest of the active galactic powers. They are deeply conservative, and are very strong supporters of the various galactic customs and conventions - many of which they are believed to have originated.

Their territory spans some fifty thousand light years an they are believed to occupy in excess of half a billion worlds. Within the Empire the Zaketh culture is organised along strict class lines, with the reds forming the aristocracy and the greens the lower classes. Inbreeding between the two races is illegal, with an automatic death sentence for both transgressors and any offspring of mixed blood. It is not unknown for greens to give birth to a red. Possibly this is a result of some freak mutation, but many outside observers consider such cases indicative of illicit interracial relationships involving a red powerful enough to be beyond questioning. Such individuals are either killed at birth or removed from their parents and fostered by a red family.

Most Zaketh are conservative and nationalistic to the point of fanaticism. There is a deep cultural belief that theirs is a superior form of life with a natural right to rule over everything within their power. Their history has spanned some six million years, and during that time their power has waxed and waned periodically - though it is not a good idea to suggest that they have ever been less than the most powerful and respected race in the galaxy to the Zaketh themselves. The present empire evolved some one hundred thousand years ago and reached its zenith ten thousand years ago. Although the empire spans a similar volume today as it did then, it is considered by most analysts to be in an accelerating state of decline. The same cultural conservatism which spurred early expansionism long ago reached a stage where it has strangled artistic, scientific and political innovation almost totally. The outer worlds and subject species of the empire are gradually becoming more and more cut off from the center, and many of the fringe worlds have effectively seceded from the empire. The Zaketh central worlds will rarely admit to this process, and indeed it is questionable to what extent they are actually aware of it. The Zaketh themselves regard discussion of this subject as an insult coming from others and treason from their own people.

Several of the previous empires have indulged in the building of Type I and II Dyson spheres, usually shortly before a widespread recessive period. Most of the spheres have long been destroyed through neglect or in civil wars, but the current empire maintains a handful of spheres of both kinds. There is always talk within the empire of building further spheres, though this has not been attempted in known history and most question whether the Zaketh retain the ability to properly maintain the ones they have, let alone construct new ones.

Historically the Zaketh's major implement for the projection of power has been the Zaketh Imperial Navy, a fleet which is composed of more than a hundred million vessels with a total firepower many thousands of times that of the Coalition navy. However, like the empire as a whole the service is plagued by problems. Most importantly, within the civilian and military sections of the empire careers are hereditary rather than merit. This has inevitably lead to a great drop in the quality of personnel in all areas. The last few centuries has also seen a shift towards the building of gigantic super-dreadnoughts as prestige assignments for the more politically connected officers - at the time of writing the pride of the fleet is the "Emperor's Dignity", a ninety six kilometre long vessel which is quite possibly the single most powerful military unit in the galaxy. While this trend has massively boosted the overall firepower of the fleet, it has reduced its mobility and flexibility drastically. It is a telling point that the Zaketh navy rarely conducts fleet operations beyond its own borders any more.

Despite these shortcomings the sheer size and firepower of the Zaketh fleet still make it the most powerful single military force in the Milky Way, on those rare occasions when the will to use it can be gathered.

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Very good on the Zaketh. i like the decadent imperialism that seems to be going on, sort of a highly magnified Centauri republic. And the biology itself is excellent.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The Centauri could almost be a model for these folks, except that I made the Zaketh up before I ever saw B5. Their inspiration was the British Empire of course, though in their case the rot hasn't brought them low as yet. They also embody the theme of repeating cycles of civilisation which I mentioned earlier, although in their case they cycle between being the biggest of the galactic powers and a fairly weak collection of localised but still interstellar powers and then back again.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The species its self is interesting, I'd be interested to know what their technology and cities are like to support creatures that large, they dont look like they could use an iTouch very well :)

But considering they are supposed to be the most advanced civilisation in the galaxy, I dont know, I guess they see a little tame. Millions of years to expand their scientific knowledge, even if they did have falls, many and large, thats still a lot of time, I would expect their technology to be massive, travel to other galaxys, speed so fast that it seems almost instant ect.

Also do these guys interact with the coalition much or is the coalition to far bellow them?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Zaketh technology is pretty fierce; they'd kerbstomp the Coalition in five minute flat if they put their mind to it. They may well have travel to other galaxies, I haven't thought about that really. There are... reasons that I won't go into why I don't really want the denizens of my galaxy to explore the rest of the universe. They'd see things that they shouldn't... :)

The Zaketh do interact with the other major powers. They happen to be quite close to the Coalition so we see more of them than most do, but not all that much at that; they are more than a little disdainful of this newbie group with pretensions of player status when they've only been around a century or so at that.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I happen to think it's fantastic that you didn't just have an uber-tech capable race that's just withdrawn for it's own indefatigable purposes, like most such bit-player races in sci-fi. You have provided an actual, reasonable reason within their own society why these folks aren't just out kicking a** and taking names.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

FIGHTER WEAPONS

Fighters can carry a variety of weapons; the simplest are the drift bombs. The first drift bombs were elementary weapons, essentially a matter and antimatter tank connected to a detonation chamber. Carried externally, the craft aligned on the target and released the weapon, which coasted to the target. Small sensors on the nose detected when contact with the target was made and triggered the storage chambers to vent their contents into the detonation chamber. The matter and antimatter would mix freely, releasing a pulse of destructive energy in all directions.

A true drift bomb is a very short range weapon. Unguided, the target need only change its velocity vector slightly for the bomb to miss its target. If used in midspace the weapon will decelerate rapidly to lightspeed and then transition into normal space. For the early drift bombs such a transition would generally be destructive to the weapon.

The Type 9 is a typical example of an early Coalition drift bomb.

The first major improvement was the introduction of a rudimentary homing system. Bombs were fitted with detectors which could sense nearby high energy fields such as defensive shields or midspace drive shunt fields. Steering vanes were fitted which picked up an energy charge from the launch craft's midspace drive field. This charge was then used to guide the bomb towards the field. This innovation increased the range of the bombs significantly, although it was still not nearly comparable to a weapon like a torpedo.

The Type 13 is a typical homing drift bomb.

As time passed and defensive systems continued to improve, the modest stand off ranges provided by homing bombs became increasingly inadequate. The answer was the assisted drift bomb, which added more vanes to the bomb. These were designed to pick up an much larger charge from the launch craft, but aimed purely at improving range rather than improving homing.

Various other improvements have been introduced over the years. The simple matter/antimatter mix has been replaced by neutronium/antineutronium in line with other Coalition weapons. A midspace penetrator nose allows weapons to be launched from midspace against normal space targets. And a focal system allows the detonation to be focused so that the large majority of it is projected forwards, towards the target.

The Type 29 is a modern bomb in service with the Coalition today

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I love the Triceratop race. You said they were the oldest of the active in Galactic politic races. This mean there are races with Empires out there a billion, two billion years old? It'd be wild if there was say a race or two out there that old.

Also we don't know telepaths and hive minds don't exist. What if say a species' thought processes released a small scent that the hive mind could detect and analyze and then send back a scent to control. You'd have a hive mind then.

You also said there was a huge distrust of AI:SI organisms. There any regional or even super powers of artifical life out there? You mentioned Skynet senerios but any of them have a successful Empire afterwards?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There are hive species that function along the lines of insects, using chemical markers and such, but that doesn't make them a single mind or a single being.

In my universe there is no such thing as telepathy, nor any other "mental power". They simply do not exist.

The Zaketh are the most powerful of the active races. There are older ones around, but one of the premises of my universe is that species mostly follow a cyclical path, risisng to power and then declining and collapsing back to savagery, over and over again. There are planets which have had intelligent life on them for a billion years - many of them in fact - but in the large majority of cases what you would find there are stone age tribes living in the decayed ruins of a few hundred past civilisations piled one on top of the other.

Galatea is the only SI civilisation out there. There have been "Skynet scenarios" attempted before now. If it happens on an interstellar scale, the major powers step in to destroy the SIs as soon as they start trying to take over. An individual planet might fall to SI systems undetected and subsequently go many years without being noticed - something like the Terminator or Matrix movie scenario. But again, as soon as a passing Major noticed what was going on it would stomp the planet flat. Galatea only survives because the SIs there know not to try and accumulate any physical power for themselves, they know to make themselves useful by acting as a think tank for others, and the Coalition provides protection for them.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I find it hard to believe that any power who has space flight, a fleet of ships, and dozen if not hundreds and thousands of worlds could ever fall to the stone age, they could lose intergalactic power maybe but to fall that much seems impossible when they are so spread out.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I agree, you'd think some small pocket on one of the dozens of millions of worlds would survive. If the planet is at the top of the food chain then it seems only internal strife would knock them down and internal strife doesnt' seem to have a complete start over effect.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well, there are three alternatives.

One, intelligent life is incredibly rare in the galaxy
Two, intelligent life is common, and averages a technology level literally millions of years beyond where we are now. Basically a galaxy full of Q or the 2001 Monolith builders.
Three, intelligent life is common, but for some reason does not continue to progress technologically as we have in the past.

The only way I can think of to have a crowded universe is to have intelligent life that goes through a cyclical process.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah but if you choose that answer you need to give a half decent explanation on how it could possible happen given the parameters we gave, massive fleets of ships, thousands of world ect.

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The concept I came up with is a set of principles that are found to apply to virtually every civilisation. That will be detailed in a future post, but it basically sums up to civilisations following cyclical paths, and some rules about the cycles. Think of it as a sort of very broad version of Asimov's psychohistory, if you will.

I do think there is an element of truth in the idea, actually. Technology is a positive feedback system. That is, the better your technology is, the better you become at developing even better technology. Look at our history and you can see it happening - we are advancing far faster now than ever before, and it's only speeding up.

Thing is, all positive feedback systems lead to chaos. They inevitably have to, because they tend to infinity and the universe just doesn't allow infinity. Nature likes cycles. So I posit that civilisations tend to go in cycles.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But my problem is your cycle is to large.

By all means have them fall, as you said it makes sense, but falling to stone age is to much in my opinion. It would make more sense to have them fall to a pre industiral revoultion era.