Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Coronavirus and racist attack

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:49 pm
Nutso wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:55 am Image
Okay, why is 'consumers' circled there?
According to people from countries with public healthcare, it's strange to refer to "patients" as "consumers." Especially during a pandemic.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Nutso wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:30 pm
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:49 pm
Nutso wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:55 am Image
Okay, why is 'consumers' circled there?
According to people from countries with public healthcare, it's strange to refer to "patients" as "consumers." Especially during a pandemic.
Oh, right. I live in the united States, which doesn't have public or functioning healthcare.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Video emerges showing Trump talking about cutting pandemic team in 2018, despite saying last week 'I didn't know about it'
Mr Trump said of the pandemic team that “some of the people we’ve cut they haven’t been used for many, many years and if we ever need them we can get them very quickly and rather then spending the money”.

“I’m a business person, I don’t like having thousands of people around when you don’t need them,” he added.

The US president has come under fire in recent days for his decision to disband the National Security Council directorate at the White House responsible for planning the US’s preparedness for future pandemics.

The unit had been established by the previous White House administration in 2014 after the outbreak of Ebola.
So here we are today.
Stan - South Park
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

McAvoy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:29 am Funny thing. A few of my mord conservative friends is calling out everyone to donate supplies to the people who are not financially able. Those who have a budget where they can only buy certain things week to week. Living pay check to pay check.

These people want the more financially able to give up something the less financially less able cannot afford.

Sounds familiar...

If I may McAvoy? I don't quite see where your going with that one.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

PM tells Australians to 'stop hoarding' as he announces sweeping measures to slow spread of coronavirus
While declaring a national human biosecurity emergency under the Biosecurity Act on Tuesday morning, Morrison ruled out an Italian-style national lockdown and urged calm, taking aim at those panic buying, saying it was “un-Australian” and unnecessary.

“Stop hoarding,” he said. “I can’t be more blunt about it. Stop it. It is not sensible, it is not helpful and it has been one of the most disappointing things I have seen in Australian behaviour in response to this crisis.

“That is not who we are as a people. It is not necessary. It is not something that people should be doing.”

The declaration under the act, which was signed off by the governor general on Tuesday morning, allows a minister to “determine any requirement that he or she is satisfied is necessary” to prevent entry or spread of a disease, with penalties for non-compliance.

The Department of Foreign Affairs has also announced level-four restrictions for all global travel, with formal advice now escalated to “do not travel overseas”, along with a call for Australians abroad to return home or risk being stranded.
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Medical company threatens to sue volunteers that 3D-printed valves for life-saving coronavirus treatments
The valve typically costs about $11,000 from the medical device manufacturer, but the volunteers were able to print replicas for about $1 (via Techdirt).

A hospital in Italy was in need of the valves after running out while treating patients for COVID-19. The hospital’s usual supplier said they could not make the valves in time to treat the patients, according to Metro. That launched a search for a way to 3D print a replica part, and Cristian Fracassi and Alessandro Ramaioli, who work at Italian startup Isinnova, offered their company’s printer for the job, reports Business Insider.

However, when the pair asked the manufacturer of the valves for blueprints they could use to print replicas, the company declined and threatened to sue for patent infringement, according to Business Insider Italia. Fracassi and Ramaioli moved ahead anyway by measuring the valves and 3D printing three different versions of them.

So far, the valves they made have worked on 10 patients as of March 14th, according to Massimo Temporelli, the founder of Italian manufacturing solutions company FabLab who helped recruit Fracassi and Ramaioli to print the replica valves.
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Vic wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:08 am
McAvoy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:29 am Funny thing. A few of my mord conservative friends is calling out everyone to donate supplies to the people who are not financially able. Those who have a budget where they can only buy certain things week to week. Living pay check to pay check.

These people want the more financially able to give up something the less financially less able cannot afford.

Sounds familiar...

Basically let's say I can afford to hoard something. You cannot afford it but only a little at a time. You would say I was rich and you were poor. Now you tell me I have to give up my hoarding of that thing to give to you because you have much less of it than I do.

What does that sound like to you?

The reason why I mention it is because, there is alot of mockery going on, rightfully so, about the mass hysteria on groceries. I have seen quite a few posts about redistributing your wealth to the less fortunate.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:14 pm
Vic wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:08 am

Sounds familiar...

Basically let's say I can afford to hoard something. You cannot afford it but only a little at a time. You would say I was rich and you were poor. Now you tell me I have to give up my hoarding of that thing to give to you because you have much less of it than I do.

What does that sound like to you?

The reason why I mention it is because, there is alot of mockery going on, rightfully so, about the mass hysteria on groceries. I have seen quite a few posts about redistributing your wealth to the less fortunate.
More along the lines of social pressure, rather than say force of law or charity? Sounds like a bit of alluding to hypocricy too maybe?
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

new, news here. My job has sent everyone age 60 and over home on administrative (paid) leave. There's list of other medical factors which if that person were to get the virus, would increase their chances of dying from (or a very high risk of) it, have been given the option of going on Admin leave. I work evenings and there are three of us in my office, myself and one other actually fall under one or more of the risk factors but opted to not take leave and keep working. Some of you are probably reading that going, ".... Why?? take the leave moron!?", but to me, its about someone has to be there. I provide a critical role in my job. Besides, I'm not sick or showing symptoms. My risk factor is hugely mitigated by being just a few of us working at night with very few others in different offices.
All total though, half my jobs workforce either went on leave due to age or other factors. Somewhere in the 2500-3000 range. This leaves us pretty short handed but busy.

Plus, I would go batty bonkers if I went on leave at my apartment for 2-weeks -> unknown how long this will go on?
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”