Openly gay candidate runs for Tunisia’s presidency

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Openly gay candidate runs for Tunisia’s presidency

Post by Nutso »

In first for Arab world, openly gay candidate runs for Tunisia’s presidency
Liberal Party leader Mounir Baatour, an openly gay lawyer, announced on Thursday he would stand in Tunisia's presidential elections, marking a first for the Arab world.

Baatour's candidacy marks "a first which will without doubt be a benchmark in history", his party said.

A lawyer at the Court of Cassation, Tunisia's highest court, the Liberal Party leader presents himself as a defender of LGBT rights.

But ahead of his announcement, a petition signed by 18 groups who campaign for those rights warned his candidacy would represent a "danger" for their communities.

Baatour was jailed for three months in 2013 for "sodomy" with a 17-year-old student, an accusation he has always denied.

Having a criminal record does not automatically ban Tunisians from standing in elections.

"The fact that I'm gay doesn't change anything. It's a candidacy like all the others," Baatour told AFP.

"I have an economic, social, cultural and educational programme for everything that affects Tunisians in their daily lives," he added.

Baatour is co-founder of the Shams association, through which he has for years campaigned against Tunisia's criminalisation of gay sex, which carries a sentence of up to three years.

Convictions for same-sex relations rose by 60% last year to 127 from 79 in 2017, according to Shams, which documents arrests and cases. It recorded more than 25 convictions in the first quarter of 2019.

Last month's petition against his potential candidacy was signed by numerous organisations for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, intersex and queer rights.

'Danger to our community'

"We think that Mr Baatour represents not only a threat but also a huge danger for our community," the petition read.

But in an interview with REUTERS last month, the Liberal Party candidate said it was important to open a debate on LGBT rights in the country.

“I saw there is no progress on this matter in Tunisia: there is no politician who is endorsing these cases and in my opinion I am the best person who can change the Tunisian society,” he said.

Presidential hopefuls have until Friday to submit their candidacy, ahead of September 15 polls.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Openly gay candidate runs for Tunisia’s presidency

Post by Teaos »

Well, I wish them luck, but I also wish them a good security detail.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Teaos wrote:Well, I wish them luck, but I also wish them a good security detail.
Thumbs up if there isn't an assassination attempt, or acid throw, or Molotov cocktail or general violence that the Arabic world is known for. Still, openly gay Muslim chooses to live in the Arabic world and be politically active. What a fucking set of balls on this guy!
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Nutso wrote:
Teaos wrote:Well, I wish them luck, but I also wish them a good security detail.
Thumbs up if there isn't an assassination attempt, or acid throw, or Molotov cocktail or general violence that the Arabic world is known for. Still, openly gay Muslim chooses to live in the Arabic world and be politically active. What a fucking set of balls on this guy!
And any partner of his needs a good set too! And subsequently, they'd be very happy together.

... Now if this was a complimentary-intended joke about a hetero couple, (obviously written for such too) well, whatever, but as its about one real specific and one none-in-particular men suddenly the joke can either come across as somewhat insulting and get a reaction of "Typical hetero insult, next thing this guy will say is 'no homo'" or, yes be read very much in the not-intended-to-be-insulting-just-like-with-hetero-based-jokes-meant-to-convey-its-not-abnormal-to-be-gay-blablabla... yet make the heterosexuals around here feel uncomfortable because yes I totally made all of us (including myself) think about two guys with two sets of "significant" reproductive organs.

... and now I'm wondering if not posting the joke would be homophobic because of my own "... ew bad thought wheres the bleach!" inward reaction realising what I had typed up.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well good luck. And if he gets elected, good luck on surviving it. Hopefully that country's security is decent for their leaders.

This is me without any research or knowledge of the subject...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"