Paddy Ashdown dies

In the real world
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Paddy Ashdown dies

Post by Captain Seafort »

Beeb
Former Liberal Democrats leader Paddy Ashdown has died aged 77 following a short illness, a party spokesperson has said.

The former MP for Yeovil made an "immeasurable contribution to furthering the cause of liberalism" and would be "desperately missed", a statement said.

Lib Dem leader Vince Cable said it was "a hugely sad day" for the party.

Lord Ashdown was diagnosed with bladder cancer in October.
"Former Lib Dem leader", "former MP for Yeovil". Of all the things the man did in his life, those were the least of his accomplishments.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Paddy Ashdown dies

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Met him once. Back when I was a student we were told he was coming to visit our university and they wanted students to attend a gathering he would speak to. Entirely optional, but they said there would be free food and drink so I was in.

Didn't come to much. He gave a little speech about the importance of education, then chatted to the university bigwigs whilst me and a couple of friends scoffed as much of the free food as we could. He seemed like a nice guy, though. His wife was nice, too.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...