TIME's 2018 Person of the Year

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

TIME's 2018 Person of the Year

Post by Nutso »

TIME's 2018 Person of the Year: 'The Guardians and the War on Truth'
Four journalists and one newspaper "are representative of a broader fight by countless others around the world."

A group of journalists whose work has landed them in jail — or cost them their lives — has been named TIME’s Person of the Year for 2018.

“Like all human gifts, courage comes to us at varying levels and at varying moments,” the magazine’s editor-in-chief Edward Felsenthal wrote in an essay about the selection. “This year we are recognizing four journalists and one news organization who have paid a terrible price to seize the challenge of this moment: Jamal Khashoggi, Maria Ressa, Wa Lone and Kyaw Soe Oo and, the Capital Gazette of Annapolis, Md.”
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: TIME's 2018 Person of the Year

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I await Trump's twitter storm on not getting this.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

I doubt Trumples is even interested, after all he's been there once already (2016?). Anyway this is the group that chose Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin, twice for Uncle Joe by the way. Kind of makes me question their judgement or perhaps their criteria.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Vic wrote:I doubt Trumples is even interested, after all he's been there once already (2016?). Anyway this is the group that chose Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin, twice for Uncle Joe by the way. Kind of makes me question their judgement or perhaps their criteria.
Their criteria is "the person or persons who has had the most influence on world events". Hitler and Stalin don't qualify for that, in your opinion?

The only choice I really find fault with is when they picked Rudy Giuliani in 2001. It really should have been Osama Bin Laden.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Vic wrote:I doubt Trumples is even interested, after all he's been there once already (2016?). Anyway this is the group that chose Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin, twice for Uncle Joe by the way. Kind of makes me question their judgement or perhaps their criteria.
Trump's never won. Although he has fake Time covers of him hanging up at various Trump properties.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Well it's not called good person of the year. It's a reflection on human nature that the most influential people in history often aren't so for nice reasons.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Trump's never won. Although he has fake Time covers of him hanging up at various Trump properties.
No, Vic's right, he was person of the Year in 2016. LINK

But yeah, it's a measure of historical influence, not an accolade.
Bite my shiny metal ass
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Griffin wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
No, Vic's right, he was person of the Year in 2016. LINK

But yeah, it's a measure of historical influence, not an accolade.
Thanks for the correction. My mind's been mush this month.