Falling Rocks Cause Sea Levels to Rise?

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Falling Rocks Cause Sea Levels to Rise?

Post by Nutso »

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-enviro ... ing-higher
A Republican lawmaker on the House Science, Space and Technology Committee said Thursday that rocks from the White Cliffs of Dover and the California coastline, as well as silt from rivers tumbling into the ocean, are contributing to high sea levels globally.

Rep. Mo Brooks (R-Ala.) made the comment during a hearing on technology and the changing climate, which largely turned into a Q&A on the basics of climate research.

Climate scientist Philip Duffy testified before the panel, addressing lawmakers’ questions about climate change, according to E&E News.

"The rate of global sea-level rise has accelerated and is now four times faster than it was 100 years ago," Duffy told the panel.

Brooks said that erosion played a factor in that.

"Every time you have that soil or rock or whatever it is that is deposited into the seas, that forces the sea levels to rise, because now you have less space in those oceans, because the bottom is moving up," Brooks said at the hearing.

"I'm pretty sure that on human time scales, those are minuscule effects,” responded Duffy, president of the Woods Hole Research Center in Massachusetts and a former senior adviser to the U.S. Global Change Research Program, responded.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Falling Rocks Cause Sea Levels to Rise?

Post by Mikey »

I wonder who Brooks gets to tie his shoes for him.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I mean, this is technically correct... and when I pee in the ocean at the beach, sea levels also rise... :bangwall:
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Mikey wrote:I wonder who Brooks gets to tie his shoes for him.

He uses velcro straps........
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

N.B.: don’t go swimming with Bryan...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Perhaps this could be a way to beat the effects of global warming.

Can we dredge the ocean floors? We could dump it all on, um, Russia. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. We could lower the sea level to compensate for all the ice melting.

A future world with no ice, a giant mountain in the middle of Russia... and sea levels that are perfectly fine. Let's do this!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

You just wanna slap him. Hard. Upside the head and right in the face, too. That's next-level stupidity.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Perhaps this could be a way to beat the effects of global warming.

Can we dredge the ocean floors? We could dump it all on, um, Russia. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. We could lower the sea level to compensate for all the ice melting.

A future world with no ice, a giant mountain in the middle of Russia... and sea levels that are perfectly fine. Let's do this!
If they're going to do that, dump it onto the countries/islands that have shrunk over the years due to sea level rise. Bangladesh could grab a few cubic miles to avoid flooding, and even take back extra land with help from the Dutch Thehe Solomon islands would like some of their lost islands back too.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

There'd still be unintended consequences to consider. Moving that much material and dropping it onto existing land would increase the weight on that area of crust, pushing it down. There could then be a see-saw effect where adjacent un-weighted areas are lifted. Meanwhile, the lighter ocean floor lifts somewhat. The ultimate effect on global topography (and sea level/coastlines) may become rather arduous to ultimately forecast.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

However, smart government reforms could stop global warming in it's tracks. Imagine a world with no "hot air" flowing out of Washington and other capitols. :mrgreen:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:However, smart government reforms could stop global warming in it's tracks. Imagine a world with no "hot air" flowing out of Washington and other capitols. :mrgreen:
We'd enter into an ice age! :P
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:You just wanna slap him. Hard. Upside the head and right in the face, too. That's next-level stupidity.
You mean like this?:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88W8ab1ngwc
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

mwhittington wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:You just wanna slap him. Hard. Upside the head and right in the face, too. That's next-level stupidity.
You mean like this?:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88W8ab1ngwc
Yes, but with far less respect shown to Mo Brooks, the guy mentioned in the first post.