US Navy ship in collision

In the real world
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

US Navy ship in collision

Post by Graham Kennedy »

source

A US Navy destroyer has collided with a merchant vessel close to Japan.

The collision involving the USS Fitzgerald happened 56 nautical miles south-west of Yokosuka around 2:30am local time (18:30 BST) on Saturday. The extent of injuries and damage is being determined, the US Navy said.

The Navy has requested help from the Japanese Coast Guard. Japan's public broadcaster, NHK, reported that the US ship was said to be listing and help was being sent.

NHK said the coastguard's patrol ships and planes have been dispatched to the area.
There's a few careers down the pan. :(

So how the hell do you collide with a merchant ship when you're fifty miles out to sea? Surely there's enough room out there that you'd never have to come anywhere near another ship? Or was this some crowded sea lane with ships all over the place?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: US Navy ship in collision

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Reports say seven crewmembers are missing. :(
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I can only assume they went overboard when it hit, as there doesn't seem to be a hole in the side of the ship.
email, ergo spam
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

IanKennedy wrote:I can only assume they went overboard when it hit, as there doesn't seem to be a hole in the side of the ship.
Bodies found and identified, on board

Short version is that she suffered severe damage below the waterline and some of the crew quarters were flooded.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

That's always the way on ships. Even cruise ships have the crew in areas most likely to breach.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Ah, that sort of missing. I thought they meant after they had searched the ship...
email, ergo spam
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Here's some more information:

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... alf-of-it/

So evidently the merchant ship made some odd maneuvers, but since the US Navy ship had it's AIS tracking system off no collision warnings would have sounded. Also, the images do show a lot of traffic in the area. Presumably the unexpected turn of the merchant vessel and the sheer number of ships to track confused the bridge crew on USS Fitzgerald.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

When you have the faster/more agile ship, let the other guy cross first. Basic rule for boats

Similarly, if you are going to cross the path of a cargo ship, cross the rear of the cargo ship's path, not the front.

What they could have done is travel astern of the cargo ship, using it as a 'plow' to make sure nobody got in front of them

Still, sad loss for the families of the seven
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

For some reason this brought to mind sea captain training, Naked Gun style

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who