President Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson?

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

President Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson?

Post by Nutso »

http://mashable.com/2017/05/10/dwayne-t ... president/
Everyone from Michael Moore to Washington Post has brought up The Rock running for president of the United States, and in conversation with Caity Weaver for the magazine, he discussed how those conversations have impacted his thoughts about a future campaign.

Since then, Johnson tells me, he's given the question more thought. “A year ago,” he says, “it started coming up more and more. There was a real sense of earnestness, which made me go home and think, ‘Let me really rethink my answer and make sure I am giving an answer that is truthful and also respectful.’ I didn't want to be flippant—‘We'll have three days off for a weekend! No taxes!’”

So, after all that consideration, Johnson doesn't hesitate when I ask him whether he honestly might one day give up his life as the highest-paid movie star on earth—which is unquestionably easier, more fun, and more lucrative than being president of the United States—in order to run for office. “I think that it's a real possibility,” he says solemnly.

On Instagram, Johnson has brought up a possible campaign multiple times.

"I care DEEPLY about our county... and the idea of one day becoming President to create real positive impact and global change is very alluring," he's explained, last year. "Buuuuut until that possible day, the most important thing right now is strong honest leadership from our current and future leaders of this country."
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: President Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

If we're to have celebrity Presidents it'd be hard to do worse than Trump. I don't really know Johnson's politics but in that short blurb there's already the appearance of a more well-spoken man and evidence of more serious thought. On the other hand, the idea is a symptom of a yuge celebrity culture that's developed. That seems something of a uniquely American cultural element. As to the idea of choosing a public servant based on his or her competence and commitment to the public good, many Americans... hey, twitter says Kim Kardashian just farted!

Then again, if we elected President Hulk, public statements would become even crazier and more epic than they are now while Congress could afford to cut back on our astronomical military spending and let President Hulk personally smash our enemies. We should do that.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I'd legit take Dwayne over Donnie, that is for DAMNED sure.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I loathe the idea of the presidency being a position filled by the coolest celebrity of the moment, but if it was going to be a complete outsider, my god, the Rock is a great call. I've followed this guy for twenty years, through wrestling and movies, and I know some people who know him personally (don't ask) and by all accounts, he is as thoughtful, earnest, and respectable a human being as has ever come out of sports and entertainment. I'd not be surprised if he knows next to nothing about real politics or economics, but I also think a man like that could do more to unify people than anyone else in the country.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Bryan Moore wrote:I loathe the idea of the presidency being a position filled by the coolest celebrity of the moment, but if it was going to be a complete outsider, my god, the Rock is a great call. I've followed this guy for twenty years, through wrestling and movies, and I know some people who know him personally (don't ask) and by all accounts, he is as thoughtful, earnest, and respectable a human being as has ever come out of sports and entertainment. I'd not be surprised if he knows next to nothing about real politics or economics, but I also think a man like that could do more to unify people than anyone else in the country.
I don't have a view one way or the other about him as a political candidate. However, I can remember the very same discussions about Reagan when he came around.
email, ergo spam