David Lynch retires from directing movies

In the real world
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

David Lynch retires from directing movies

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
There are a lot of positives about the modern Hollywood landscape, but there are also some very brutal truths to it. Most studios are primarily interested in very bankable franchises or things that they know will provide them a huge return at the box office. That has made it hard for some filmmakers to get the type of movies they want to make going. This has led legendary director David Lynch to announce that he is officially done directing movies.

The writer/director recently spoke with The Sydney Morning Herlad and, since he hasn't directed a movie in a while, he was asked if he is ever planning on making one again. While he was reportedly uncertain at first, he definitively said "Yes, it is," when asked if Inland Empire was indeed his last movie. David Lynch did provide some reason for his unceremonious retirement from directing movies, though. Here's what he had to say.

"Things changed a lot. So many films were not doing well at the box office even though they might have been great films and the things that were doing well at the box office weren't the things that I would want to do."
A shame that he feels that way, and a bigger shame that he's probably right.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: David Lynch retires from directing movies

Post by Mikey »

I've always enjoyed his films and TV, and always respected his artistic integrity. This just proves both that integrity and his wisdom in recognizing the sad fact of the landscape.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Mikey wrote:I've always enjoyed his films and TV, and always respected his artistic integrity. This just proves both that integrity and his wisdom in recognizing the sad fact of the landscape.
Agreed completely.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

No, David Lynch Did Not Quit Cinema For Good, He Assures Us
Today, while attending the 70th Cannes Film Festival for the French premiere of the new Twin Peaks, the director was asked about the statement and cleared up the misunderstanding. “My remarks have been misrepresented,” he tells Le Soir. “I did not say I quit cinema. Simply that nobody knows what the future holds.”

Remember when he said Twin Peaks was as dead as a doornail? Never say never.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park