Romanian government under pressure as 500,000 protest

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Romanian government under pressure as 500,000 protest

Post by Nutso »

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/02/r ... 54077.html
An estimated 500,000 protesters rallied in Romania's capital, Bucharest, following a government climbdown over a contentious corruption decree in the face of week-long mass demonstrations.

Fulfilling a promise made late on Saturday, the government announced on Sunday it had approved the withdrawal of controversial executive order that would have decriminalised certain grant offences and protected politicians from prosecution.

The ruling coalition led by Prime Minister Sorin Grindeanu had originally approved the ordinance late on Tuesday, with no input from the country's parliament, sparking the biggest demonstrations in the country in decades.

After repealing the decree, Grindeanu asked the justice minister to prepare a draft law to be sent to parliament for debate and approval.

The centre-left Social Democratic Party has a parliamentary majority with a junior partner. President Klaus Iohannis, who is expected to speak later on Sunday, then needs to sign off on the legislation.

Yet, the announcement did not stop demonstrators from gathering for a sixth consecutive day, as massive crowds poured into Bucharest's Victory Square to protest against what they deem an alarming retreat in the country's fight against corruption.

"It has gone, the amendments are history, but the protesters are still not trusting the prime minister," Al Jazeera's David Chater, reporting from the capital, Bucharest, said.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Romanian government under pressure as 500,000 protest

Post by Bryan Moore »

Typically Eastern European protests and government unrest ends well for everyone involved.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

God what a law.

I would love to hear the justification for that.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:God what a law.

I would love to hear the justification for that.
Simple - "we like money, no matter how illegitimate the source, and don't want to get in trouble for accepting it." Seems pretty clear-cut to me.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer