Could you pass the UK citizenship test?

In the real world
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: Could you pass the UK citizenship test?

Post by sunnyside »

22/24

Though two disclamers
-I'd read the first post before taking the quiz, hence I knew the patron saint of Wales
-I think you were supposed to have to make two responses for a number of those, but it only let me select one (so I only had to get one of the two to get it noted as correct).

Also after the brexit my response for licences with the EU should become correct, and maybe somewhere in there you'll start requiring your magistrates to actually have freaking qualifications, so I'll be 100%

That said, they made some comment about Ukip being confused about most British youth being unable to pass the test, however my impression was that Ukip sees youngsters being largely composed of foreigners and unloyal, uh....hurm. Do you guys have some term analogous to our "hippie?"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

sunnyside wrote:-I think you were supposed to have to make two responses for a number of those, but it only let me select one (so I only had to get one of the two to get it noted as correct).
IIRC, it says at the top that some questions ask for two answers but for "technical reasons" you can only input one.
That said, they made some comment about Ukip being confused about most British youth being unable to pass the test, however my impression was that Ukip sees youngsters being largely composed of foreigners and unloyal, uh....hurm. Do you guys have some term analogous to our "hippie?"
Yes, it's "hippie". We use that word too! :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

American here... got a 23/24. St. David was through process of elimination. Not bad, but the former history teacher in me is largely to credit.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Nutso wrote:Rejected: 18/24
Me, too. A few of them I got wrong because I was trying to not think American (April Fools and Voting age). A lot of them I just guessed--that worked out well a few times--and figured out through the process of elimination.

Seriously, though, why would a question about April Fools be on a citizenship exam?

I took the test again and got 100%. :D
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Because it's a British tradition. In recent years it's spread wider. The likes of the US have it because we had it.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Celebratory traditions, though, aren't the sort of things that should determine eligibility for citizenship.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Knowledge of them should, though. Knowing the traditions of a country is part of knowing the culture.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Perhaps I take for granted the fact that I live in a nation without any one singular culture.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:Perhaps I take for granted the fact that I live in a nation without any one singular culture.
Thanksgiving seems pretty universal?
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It is somewhat universally celebrated, though not completely and it is of Protestant origin. More to the point, though, is the fact that I couldn't ever imagine a question about Thanksgiving traditions being a criterion for citizenship.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Foreign countries do many things differently. Personally I think it's a great idea to ensure that immigrants have knowledge of the culture of the place they're going to.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

In my country, those cultural traditions are not governmental or in any way mandated - or even universal - and as such have no place in determining eligibility for citizenship. In the UK, the trivialities of minor ethnic or national observances may in fact be required by law.
as Bull offed Custer
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

I just never expected April Fools to be such a significant holiday. Remembrance Day would seem more likely.

On the other hand, I can see the wisdom of making sure a potential citizen does not misunderstand the things they are likely to encounter on April Fools.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:In my country, those cultural traditions are not governmental or in any way mandated - or even universal - and as such have no place in determining eligibility for citizenship. In the UK, the trivialities of minor ethnic or national observances may in fact be required by law.
Nope.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I think in the US, knowledge of the traditions of the region you live in would be helpful, but not necessary. It's a sight different here in New England than in California, where my sister lives.