Brexit

In the real world
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Brexit

Post by Captain Seafort »

Graham Kennedy wrote:The thing is... what if that bill is voted down?
There would be fucking uproar, especially given that, with the exception of a few idiots (notably Ken Clarke, who's standing down at the next election, and Tim Farron) every MP who's spoken since the referendum, be they leavers or remainers, has said that the instruction of the electorate must be implemented.
The SNP and Northern Ireland folks will certainly vote against.
SNP, sure, but NI is a different matter, given that most of them are DUP, who campaigned to leave.
And if the PM allowed a free vote on the issue in which MPs could vote their conscience, we may well see just that happen.

And the current leading candidate for PM is Theresa May... who was a Remain campaigner. She could justifiably make it a free vote, and then just say "Parliament has voted; not my fault" afterwards.
No, she couldn't. She has explicitly said that "Brexit means Brexit". "Not my fault" is not Brexit. There's also the little hurdle of a leadership election to get over first, which she might lose precisely because she was a remainer.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There would be fucking uproar, especially given that, with the exception of a few idiots (notably Ken Clarke, who's standing down at the next election, and Tim Farron) every MP who's spoken since the referendum, be they leavers or remainers, has said that the instruction of the electorate must be implemented.
Yes, there would be uproar. But what, if anything, would the voters actually DO about it? Would they still be so mad four years from now that they'd all defect to UKIP? I doubt that, myself.
SNP, sure, but NI is a different matter, given that most of them are DUP, who campaigned to leave.
The voters voted to stay, though, and there has already been some talk in NI that they might go for independence rather than be forced to leave. Maybe it will amount to nothing, maybe not.
No, she couldn't. She has explicitly said that "Brexit means Brexit". "Not my fault" is not Brexit. There's also the little hurdle of a leadership election to get over first, which she might lose precisely because she was a remainer.
It would take the space of one day to spin that into "the situation has changed, and since Parliament has spoken the issue is settled for now. The voters will have their chance to respond at the next election, if they choose to do so. Now on with running the country."

It's certainly speculation, but I think some version of that is what will ultimately happen.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

First Cameron, then Corbyn now Farrage. Has there been anything like this in the last 100 years?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Corbyn isn't gone yet, unfortunately, and yes - last year, when Millband, Clegg and Farage all quit on the same day.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Do UK politicians get an excellent pension or something to explain their predilection for quitting?
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

He's quit before but then changed his mind.

email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

sunnyside wrote:Do UK politicians get an excellent pension or something to explain their predilection for quitting?
MP's Pay:
http://www.parliamentarystandards.org.u ... fault.aspx

PDF explaining the pension rules:
http://parliamentarystandards.org.uk/pa ... cument.pdf
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Also, Cameron has quit as leader, not as an MP. That may follow, obviously.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's not unusual for ex Prime Ministers to remain on the back benches after quitting. Or to see them kicked upstairs to the Lords. We may see Cameron around for a long time to come!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Be weird to goof rom Pm to back bencher. I can't think of any NZ politician who stayed after being the leader.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I figured Cameron had a good couple of months while Brexit was kicked around before quitting.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

IanKennedy wrote:
sunnyside wrote:Do UK politicians get an excellent pension or something to explain their predilection for quitting?
MP's Pay:
http://www.parliamentarystandards.org.u ... fault.aspx

PDF explaining the pension rules:
http://parliamentarystandards.org.uk/pa ... cument.pdf
Huh. Neither are particularly impressive, maybe above average. Maybe the wanting to go back to a business job makes sense.

CNN picked this odd trend up.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/04/politics/ ... index.html
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It's quite common here for them to quit being leader an stay around in the background. Pensions wouldn't come into it unless they retired, which can only happen on retirement age i.e. You can't be 24, become PM for a week and then retire on pension for the rest of your live. You have to wait until you are 65 (or more these days) before you can start claiming you pension. http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/p ... nsion-age/
email, ergo spam
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

sunnyside wrote:Maybe the wanting to go back to a business job makes sense.
"Back"? What makes you think any but a minority of MPs have ever had a real job?