Brexit

In the real world
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Brexit

Post by Captain Seafort »

Vic wrote:Would it be possible for England to exit but not the rest of the UK?
No more so than it would be possible for Missouri to leave NAFTA.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Hey the aftermath of Brexit has been a lot more mild than almost anyone thought, and with some good upsides in the long term.

I can't see it not passing a vote at this point.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I can certainly see a passing vote if the MPs want to hold on to their seats next time around, at least if vox pops are any indication.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Vic wrote:Would it be possible for England to exit but not the rest of the UK?
No more so than it would be possible for Missouri to leave NAFTA.
Show me.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

"England" is neither a sovereign state, nor a member of the EU, no more so than "Missouri" is a sovereign state (using the term as understood in international politics) or a member of NAFTA. The relevant members of the respective bodies are the United Kingdom and the United States, ergo all matters and decisions arising from membership of the supranational body apply equally to all parts of the member states.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:"England" is neither a sovereign state, nor a member of the EU, no more so than "Missouri" is a sovereign state (using the term as understood in international politics) or a member of NAFTA. The relevant members of the respective bodies are the United Kingdom and the United States, ergo all matters and decisions arising from membership of the supranational body apply equally to all parts of the member states.
Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have expected you to get that little joke. I understand full well the difference between England and the UK; Missouri is known by the nickname "the Show Me State," for various folkloric (and probably apocryphal) reasons. One legend has it that a Congressman Vandiver of Missouri, at a naval banquet around the turn of the 20th century, said in a speech that "I am from Missouri... you have got to show me." A less-flattering tale is that Missouri miners, imported to cover the workload of striking laborers at a Colorado mine, weren't quite catching on to their instructions, whereupon one supervisor told another, "Those men are from Missouri - you have to show them."

There was also a joke about it in The Outlaw Josey Wales, which if you haven't seen you have no business conversing with other humans.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Bryan Moore wrote:I am admittedly a person whose political leanings tend to follow a conservative economic perspective... so can someone please tell me, because my apparently feeble mind cannot comprehend... what exactly does Britain expect to gain, economically, from the Brexit? Not that I'd ever doubt a country whose greatest current export is the cast of Game of Thrones, but I've not heard a great argument that really convinces me why this is seen by the conservatives as a smart economic move.
I think the overwhelming majority did not vote with an economic perspective, the EU is far more emotive than simple money can convey. Those I know who did vote Leave (I did not) mainly voted along the lines of returning total governance of our law to Parliament rather than the EU parliament. Just as there are instances when states are required to comply with Federal law in the US, the EU has been increasingly trying to exert the will of EU law on it's members. Some nations do not consider this particularly an issue (Germany comes to mind) largely because it's populace are vested in the ever closer union ideal of the EU itself.

Britain has long been a peripheral member. While I know who my MEP is and voted in the European elections when the chance came, the vast majority a) don't know and b) don't care. All they see is the EU instituting quotas on our fishing fleet or stricter rules on the shape of vegetables or laws that make it difficult to deport criminals etc etc etc. I can't deny that the EU is a particularly bloated and bureaucratic institution, with some utterly ridiculous regulations in place, which we must adhere to.

Conservative law makers in Government take particular issue with the European Court of Human Rights having the final say on HR matters in the UK to the extent they can overrule our own law courts. Rule 39 comes to mind; most notable case being Abu Qatada. The deportation was halted on the basis he may be tortured in his native country to produce evidence where torture is illegal in the EU, therefore his human rights would be violated. Conservatives generally take a dim view on interference in our political system regardless of the reasoning.

Some arguments were made in that we would actually be in an economically fortuitous position as we could trade with the wider world. Trade deals could be negotiated far quicker than currently due to not having to involve the various mechanics of the EU itself to gain approval for it. Australia for example has already signalled the green light to trade; while the "Empire" as it were is long gone, the commonwealth nations themselves could prove a useful trading source. With historic ties to India and China (through Hong Kong), there is the potential for us to tap into the fastest growing economies on the planet.

Additionally there are increasing concerns over the economic stability of the Eurozone which is inextricably linked to the EU. Greece appears to be rapidly heading toward collapse again, Italy has been teetering at the maw for well over a decade, Spain isn't looking particularly pretty either. There are only so many times the Eurozone can take the big hits before the system starts to fall apart. We are partially isolated by retaining our own currency (which looks reasonably buoyant actually) and leaving the EU could further isolate us from the potential damage.

And, inevitably, there is a small percentage who voted simply so they can kick "Johhny Foreigner" out. I am extremely aware that this is not the majority of people but there are undeniably some that think this way. The types that read tabloid newspapers and cry foul because someone built a Mosque in the city centre, the kind that get irritated because someone speaks Polish in their local supermarket. I remember the shitstorm when Lloyds operated a Polish speaking team in telephone banking when I worked there. Local media got hold of it and eventually Lloyds closed the project.