In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Budweiser is changing its name to ‘America’ this summer

Post by Nutso »

http://nypost.com/2016/05/10/budweiser- ... is-summer/
There’s no trademark on America.

Budweiser, now owned by Belgium’s AB Inbev, will rename its beer “America” this summer and alter its labels with images and phrases affiliated with the republic.

The red, white and blue campaign is being launched into a very competitive market already foamy with craft beers, and upon a drinking public bracing itself for a presidential election likely to be unlike any before it.

“We are embarking on what should be the most patriotic summer that this generation has ever seen, with Copa America Centenario being held on US soil for the first time, Team USA competing at the Rio 2016, Olympic and Paralympic Games,” said Ricardo Marques, vice president at Budweiser.

The Copa America Centenario is a ceremonial soccer tournament typically held in South America.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: Budweiser is changing its name to ‘America’ this summer

Post by sunnyside »

Looks like it's an actual marketing ploy they're trying over the summer until the elections. Though I don't think elections produce the patriotic fervor one might think as it's pretty much a requirement to constantly trash the status quo in order to get elected, especially when there isn't an incumbent.

The depressing bit this story led me to look into is all the mergers and companies trying to get incorporated out of the US, presumably for tax and regulatory purposes. So instead of Anheuser–Busch it's AB InBev in Belgium, Millers is SABMiller in the UK, Coors is Molsen Coors and it sounds like they're looking to buy Heineken at which point I wouldn't be surprised if they incorporate in the Czech Republic.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Here's the real question: will they actually change it so it tastes almost like decent beer?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Mikey wrote:Here's the real question: will they actually change it so it tastes almost like decent beer?
Actually it turns out that the new owners have switched to a cheaper variety of hops.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

sunnyside wrote:
Mikey wrote:Here's the real question: will they actually change it so it tastes almost like decent beer?
Actually it turns out that the new owners have switched to a cheaper variety of hops.
I'm gonna take that as a 'no', then.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Meh, Budweiser never had much of a hoppy presence anyway. Most lagered American beers don't.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Shit beer is still shit beer no matter what you rename it to be.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"