In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Alex Salmond Books Flight as 'James T Kirk,' Gets Banned

Post by Nutso »

Alex Salmond banned from flight after booking ticket as Star Trek captain

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/a ... ZylZjtbXPg

SNP MP Alex Salmond was barred from a British Airways flight after booking the ticket under the alias James T Kirk - the name of the starship Enterprise captain in Star Trek.

The former Scottish first minister was stopped from boarding at Heathrow because the name on his ticket didn't match that on his passport.

He has apparently been using the alias for years for security reasons and because he counts himself as a keen "Trekkie" but admits that he may have to change it now that his cover has been blown.

Apparently the staff at London City Airport and Gatwick know that he uses the name and regularly let him through but those at Heathrow were far stricter with the rules when he tried to head back up to Scotland after a week at the Commons earlier this summer.

Salmond told the Mail on Sunday that he was eventually allowed to board after making a series of "frantic phone calls".

It was all sorted out. I just wanted BA to 'Beam me up, Scotty'.

Alex Salmond
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alex Salmond Books Flight as 'James T Kirk,' Gets Banned

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'm somehow disappointed to discover that he's a Trek fan.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm somehow disappointed (though not surprised) to see that a sitting politician can't figure out that his passport needs to match his ticket.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Apparently it doesn't, in Glasgow. But they still don't have electricity or running water in Glasgow, so...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Apparently it doesn't, in Glasgow. But they still don't have electricity or running water in Glasgow, so...
I'm guessing that you lot joke about Glasgow (or Scotland in general) the way Americans from the Northeast do about the South?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yep.
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Mikey wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:Apparently it doesn't, in Glasgow. But they still don't have electricity or running water in Glasgow, so...
I'm guessing that you lot joke about Glasgow (or Scotland in general) the way Americans from the Northeast do about the South?
I used to live in the South. They're not jokes. :wink:
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Yep.
I thought it was the Welsh you made fun off for being backwards? I've seen Rob Brydon, a Welshman, make a joke explaining Skype to the Welsh as a phone for TVs, and Lee Mack, a Northerner, mimicking the Welsh accent by making grunting noises.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Yes, we do, also. ... and the Irish, especially the Irish.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yes, we make fun of the Scots and the Welsh and the Irish. And the French. And Americans. And Australians. And Germans.

...now that I think about it, we're actually kinda racist.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Yes, we make fun of the Scots and the Welsh and the Irish. And the French. And Americans. And Australians. And Germans.

...now that I think about it, we're actually kinda racist.
It's OK, because here's the kicker - most Americans wouldn't even conceive of a difference between a Welshman, an Irishman, a Scot, or an Englishman. The Aussies are just your goofy little cousins, BTW, in the perception of the rest of the world.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I wouldn't say that in Australia if I were you.

It's one of the interesting phenomena of our time that thanks to American cultural dominance, the rest of the world knows far more about America than Americans know about them. Like most Brist, I see US TV shows and movies on a regular basis, your cerrent events are reported on our news shows, there are large numbers of Americans online - half my friends are American. Whilst I'm sure I would find plenty to surprise me if I spent a year or two in the US, I'd probably also feel like I kind of know the place somewhat.

Hell, I even know more about America than some Americans. I was chatting to an American about the difference in attitudes to guns here and there once, and I said if it were me, I'd probably abolish the 2nd Amendment. She made the statement "you probably don't realise this, but our Consitution is one of the most perfect documents every written. It's SO perfect that it's never been changed even once since it was written. I don't think we should start now."

I had to gently point out to her that the US Constitution has been amended 27 times, the last being in 1992. She had absolutely no idea that there were amendments about slavery, alcohol prohibition, term limits, voting for women... and I haven't actually studied the Constitution or anything, I just picked that up from documentaries and random mentions of the Constitution in movies and stuff.

It's funny how history turns like that. Two hundred years ago it would have been the other way around. A hundred years from now we'll probably all know a whole lot about China.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I wouldn't say that in Australia if I were you.
Or Scotland, Ireland or Wales for that matter. I certainly can't imagine anyone going into a pub on the Falls Road, saying there's no difference between the locals and the English, and it ending well.
I had to gently point out to her that the US Constitution has been amended 27 times, the last being in 1992. She had absolutely no idea that there were amendments about slavery, alcohol prohibition, term limits, voting for women... and I haven't actually studied the Constitution or anything, I just picked that up from documentaries and random mentions of the Constitution in movies and stuff.
Technically, I suppose it's only been changed 17 times, given that the first ten were added just after they'd finished writing it and decided they'd forgotten a few things.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

"Oh damn, I knew I meant to put that in... well I'm not rewriting it now, just stick it on the end..."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:I wouldn't say that in Australia if I were you.
Or Scotland, Ireland or Wales for that matter. I certainly can't imagine anyone going into a pub on the Falls Road, saying there's no difference between the locals and the English, and it ending well.
I wouldn't say it anywhere - I said that there are plenty of Americans who don't recognize the difference, not that I don't. Be that as it may, there is a uniquely American resistance to globalism in some quarters. I don't get it so much locally, probably based in large part on my proximity to a cosmopolitan center like NYC, but there are demographics which show 'Murican pride by refusing to learn about cultures outside of America (or even outside their own subcultures.)
as Bull offed Custer