For the uneducated Brit...

In the real world
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

For the uneducated Brit...

Post by Reliant121 »

From you guys over in the states, I'd be interested to know what is actually happening in Ferguson or at least what your media is informing you? I've just watched a channel 4 report from the region suggesting it's gone as far as white vigilante groups stepping into the fray between the protestors and the police department. We can only get part of the story so I wondered what a more native perspective was?
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: For the uneducated Brit...

Post by Nutso »

Reliant121 wrote:From you guys over in the states, I'd be interested to know what is actually happening in Ferguson or at least what your media is informing you? I've just watched a channel 4 report from the region suggesting it's gone as far as white vigilante groups stepping into the fray between the protestors and the police department. We can only get part of the story so I wondered what a more native perspective was?
http://abcnews.go.com/US/oath-keepers-g ... d=27303096

If you're talking about these guys, the Oathkeepers, they are an anti-government, pro-Constitution group who stepped in to patrol Ferguson's streets. They're called the Oathkeepers because when they were in military, they took an oath to defend the U.S. Constitution from enemies foreign and domestic. They're all-white so far but, they're not the KKK or neo-Nazis. They're armed former military personnel who have taken up the job of protecting Ferguson's streets and businesses.
“They were calling us the KKK, they were calling us the police. We were saying ‘We’re not the police, we’re here to defend you. We’re here to defend your rights,’” Andrews told ABC News.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

This is what happens when in inbreed... ah, the south...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Jim wrote:This is what happens when in inbreed... ah, the south...
You know Ferguson is in Missouri, right?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

"the south" in not necessarily a location/direction. It is a state of mind. Some of the southern states aren't really included in that; Florida, the Carolinas, maybe even Georgia. I would go with "the south" stereotype as being Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, Louisiana. West Virginia got its own thing going on, but it could potentially be put into that bubble.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, I'd say panhandle Florida is definitely included; the Carolinas, where the people refer the the Civil War as "the recent unpleasantness" are included; and rural Georgia, where a friend of mine once saw a city-limits sign with the hand-written addendum "No n***ers after sundown" - yeah, that's included.
as Bull offed Custer
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Jim wrote:This is what happens when in inbreed... ah, the south...

:poke: Knee jerk reaction there Jim? Oh those Oathkeepers, their just sooooo evil! :roll:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Vic wrote:Oh those Oathkeepers, their just sooooo evil! :roll:
Evil? Maybe not. Fucking imbeciles at best? Absolutely. Vigilantes inviting themselves into an already tense situation is a recipe for trouble.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

Jim wrote:"the south" in not necessarily a location/direction. It is a state of mind. Some of the southern states aren't really included in that; Florida, the Carolinas, maybe even Georgia.
Yes and no. I've met people from upper New York State, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, and California that take to a "country" mindset as much as many in the former CSA do. Some even take up a "drawl" very easily. The coastal states you discounted have large populations still of that culture as well.
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I got that here where I live. White trash and redneck stereotypes everywhere.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:I got that here where I live. White trash and redneck stereotypes everywhere.
Yep. I'm all of 20 minutes north of true Piney country (McAvoy knows what I mean.) Martin Truex Jr. is from approx. 30 minutes down the Parkway... and if you have a NASCAR celebrity from your are, well...
as Bull offed Custer