In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Iceland's Pirate Party Surges Into 1st Place in Polls

Post by Nutso »

No joke: Iceland's Pirate Party surges into first place in the polls

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/06/2 ... -the-polls
Iceland has long been one of the more right-leaning Nordic countries. In contrast to Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden, which all have a long tradition of electing Social Democratic governments, Iceland's parliament has been dominated by right-of-center parties for all but four years since World War II. The only break in that streak came in 2009, when the left won for the first time ever—and elected the world's first openly gay head of state. The unusual result came about because the global financial meltdown hit Iceland with particular ferocity, but tradition seemingly reasserted itself four years later when the right-leaning Independence and Progressive parties regained power in a landslide.

So it comes as a massive shock that the last few months of polling has shown the incumbent coalition hemorrhaging support not to the center-left Social Democrats or to the left-wing Left-Green Movement, but to the nascent Pirate Party, which has surged into the lead in public opinion polls due to dissatisfaction with the mainstream parties.

Indeed, a recent Gallup survey found the Pirate Party with the support of 34 percent of voters while another found them with 35 percent. That puts the Pirates ahead of the Independence and Progressive Parties' combined support despite those two ruling-coalition partners winning 51 percent together just two years ago. That dramatic shift is illustrated in the bar chart below:

So what the heck is this "Pirate Party," and why are they suddenly so popular? Head below the fold to learn more about this deeply unusual phenomenon.

The Pirate Party is a strange beast that has no political analog in the United States, but there are other parties with the same name and same platform in Europe, where the "Pirate movement" advocates for copyright reform and an open Internet. (The first Pirate Party grew out of a Swedish think tank that also developed the infamous file-sharing website The Pirate Bay.)

These parties are generally progressive-leaning, but they intentionally eschew the traditional left-right political labels. Instead, they focus on civil liberty issues such as free speech, direct democracy, individual privacy, government transparency, and the open exchange of information and digital data.

However, their policies in other areas lean more toward egalitarian social democracy than neo-liberalism. They support market economics, but with a strong social safety net, universal health care, and high taxes to pay for services—the sort of governance you typically find in Nordic nations. Most provocatively, the Icelandic branch advocates granting NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden citizenship so that he may seek asylum in Iceland.

Typically seen as a party protesting copyright laws, national security policies, and the surveillance state, Pirate Parties have never before gained this much support anywhere. When Iceland's Pirate Party took five percent in the 2013 elections, giving them three seats, that was the best result such a party had ever received for a national parliament. Recent anti-government protests over secret E.U. negotiations seem to have bolstered the party's appeal based on their advocacy of transparency, but that alone doesn't begin to explain much of their appeal.

Iceland uses proportional representation, with voters voting for their favorite party, not individual candidates, so parties generally win a number of seats equivalent to their percentage of the popular vote. This could result in the Pirates having an enormous amount of influence if they do indeed take over 30 percent of the vote—though that is a very, very big if. In the same way that third parties almost always poll above their eventual share of the vote in the U.S., the Pirate Party may well revert to its typical role as a haven for protest votes.

Yet even though Iceland is a tiny country, if just one nation changes its copyright laws and tries to fight the international copyright regime, it could have significant consequences given the ways that the Internet has worn down national borders. This election isn't until April of 2017 at the latest, but this is still one of the most astoundingly unexpected poll results we've ever seen.
That last line is an understatement.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Iceland's Pirate Party Surges Into 1st Place in Polls

Post by Mikey »

Am I the only one who's noticed that a platform such as that described for the Pirate Party is missing a few things... for example, any sort of principles with which to govern a nation?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It tends to happen with parties that thrive on "Fed up with the establishment" votes. Over here UKIP were seen that way for a long while; they've improved somewhat the last five years or so. If this really does turn out to be real votes, the Pirates are gonna have a steel learning curve ahead of them.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:It tends to happen with parties that thrive on "Fed up with the establishment" votes. Over here UKIP were seen that way for a long while; they've improved somewhat the last five years or so. If this really does turn out to be real votes, the Pirates are gonna have a steel learning curve ahead of them.
I can't imagine a) how anyone with two neurons to rub together could vote for the UKIP, but more to the point b) how people can vote for a slogan without any platform relating to to actual governance. Pro-shareware and copyright reform don't speak to how to operate a nation.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:It tends to happen with parties that thrive on "Fed up with the establishment" votes. Over here UKIP were seen that way for a long while; they've improved somewhat the last five years or so. If this really does turn out to be real votes, the Pirates are gonna have a steel learning curve ahead of them.
I can't imagine a) how anyone with two neurons to rub together could vote for the UKIP,
Well I did, so there's that. :)

Actually I did it largely as a tactical thing. The seat I live in is one of the safest Troy seats in the whole country. They've held it continually since 1922, so they're not going anywhere. So I judged that joining a tiny handful of Labour or Lib Dem voters wasn't going to accomplish anything, but voting UKIP stood a chance of at least sending them a warning.
but more to the point b) how people can vote for a slogan without any platform relating to to actual governance. Pro-shareware and copyright reform don't speak to how to operate a nation.
People vote for a variety of reasons. To many, it isn't about "which party has the best platform for governing", even though that's actually what you're voting for. Some may be voting tactically to send a message to the establishment - what often happens when minor league parties like this get traction is that the mainstream parties use polling to figure out what's attracting voters, then adopt that stance in their own platform. Hence when the greens started picking up votes in the 90s, the mainstream parties here suddenly started paying at least some attention to green issues, etc. In that respect voting Pirate is probably less about wanting a government from that party and more a signal to the major ones, "hey, you're not paying enough attention to this issue; get on it."
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...