Metro-North Train crashes

In the real world
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Metro-North Train crashes

Post by Angharrad »

This has been called the worst Metro-North train crash in history. It was cause by a commuter train hitting an SUV that was stopped on the tracks. Link is here.
Mother of 3 was driver who caused deadly Metro-North crash
By Rebecca Harshbarger, Frank Rosario and Bob FredericksFebruary 4, 2015 | 3:05pm

A suburban mom’s inexplicable decision to drive her SUV onto the railroad tracks directly in the path of a packed commuter train triggered the deadliest collision in Metro-North’s history, sources said Wednesday.

Five commuters died when the 5:44 p.m. out of Grand Central ­T-boned the Mercedes-Benz ML350 driven onto the tracks by Ellen Schaeffer Brody, 49, a married mother of three daughters from Edgemont in Westchester.

Brody was on her way to visit a pal in Scarsdale after getting off work at a shop in Chappaqua, ICD Contemporary Jewelry, which boasts that it’s a favorite of Bill and Hillary Clinton.

She, too, died in the fiery crash at the crossing in Valhalla Tuesday evening. The train pushed the SUV down the tracks and caused its gas tank to explode.
“For reasons that are not precisely known at this time — but reasons that we intend to find out — the Mercedes SUV was stopped on the tracks,” National Transportation Safety Board investigator Robert Sumwalt said on Wednesday night.

“The big question everybody wants to know is: Why was this vehicle in the crossover?”

Brody, sources said, was heading south from Chappaqua when a crash forced motorists off the Taconic Parkway at Stephens ­Avenue. She continued south on side roads down to Commerce Street, where she was heading back to the Taconic — which required crossing the tracks. The crossing gate came down on the back of her SUV, according to Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino.

Rick Hope, the driver who was right behind her, said she got out to check the damage, but then hopped back in her SUV and drove farther onto the tracks — despite his warnings to back up.

Sumwalt said the northbound train bulldozed the car and pushed it about 1,000 feet up the tracks. The electrified third rail penetrated the SUV behind the driver’s seat, came out over the right rear tire and upward at an angle into the first train car.

As the train plowed along, a 400-foot section of the third rail broke apart in roughly 80-foot sections through the entire first rail car and just into the second rail car, Sumwalt said.

The SUV’s exploding gas tank ignited both the Mercedes and the first rail car, which was completely incinerated.

Valhalla Fire Chief Roger King said the train operator, identified as Steven Smalls, saw the SUV but could not stop in time.

“He was able to get the emergency windows [opened] to get people off the train as quickly as possible. I believe he got three or four people out himself before he was starting to be overcome by the smoke and he had to get out,” King said.

Smalls’ father said his son was recovering.

“He’s OK,” Steven Smalls Sr. said outside his Medford, LI, home. “We’re very proud of him.”

A law enforcement source told The Post it did not appear the train crew was to blame.

A Brody co-worker said the mom’s daughters were anxiously waiting for her to return home Tuesday when their father broke the tragic news.

“He came home and told them, ‘She gone,’ ” said Virginia Shasha, a sales associate .“It’s been a very difficult time for them.”

A dozen injured passengers were brought to Westchester Medical Center. One was in critical condition and one in serious condition, while the other 10 were either in fair condition or were discharged.

Additional reporting by Larry Celona, Reuven Fenton, Erin Calabrese and Jennifer Bain
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Metro-North Train crashes

Post by Captain Seafort »

A suburban mom’s inexplicable decision to drive her SUV onto the railroad tracks

Brody, sources said, was heading south from Chappaqua when a crash forced motorists off the Taconic Parkway at Stephens ­Avenue. She continued south on side roads down to Commerce Street, where she was heading back to the Taconic — which required crossing the tracks. The crossing gate came down on the back of her SUV, according to Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino.

Rick Hope, the driver who was right behind her, said she got out to check the damage, but then hopped back in her SUV and drove farther onto the tracks — despite his warnings to back up.
Inexplicable my foot. She was impatient and jumped the lights. Pillock.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I gotta agree with Seafort on this.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote: Pillock.
I refuse to believe that this is actually a word.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:
Well...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Why do vehicles get stuck on railways?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Well...
Don't care, I still won't believe it.
as Bull offed Custer
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Mikey wrote:
I'm with Mikey on this.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:
It a word, and so is Bollocks.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:It a word, and so is Bollocks.
I've heard the term "bollocks," and apparently you limeys have found some connection between testicles and untruths because that term seems to mean both things. However, you can provide all the evidence you want for the existence of the term "pillock" and I can still decide not to recognize it.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:
IanKennedy wrote:It a word, and so is Bollocks.
I've heard the term "bollocks," and apparently you limeys have found some connection between testicles and untruths because that term seems to mean both things. However, you can provide all the evidence you want for the existence of the term "pillock" and I can still decide not to recognize it.
Bollocks is also good, though! When something is really, really excellent, you say it is "the dog's bollocks!"

Pillock is a real word too... :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:you say it is "the dog's bollocks!"
No, I don't. Further, I doubt I ever will because I just can't get that excited about canine testicles.
Graham Kennedy wrote:Pillock is a real word too...
Nope. I have decided what I will believe on the matter without any recourse to logic or actuality.
as Bull offed Custer
Admiral Dunsel
Petty officer third class

Post by Admiral Dunsel »

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pillock
And similar entries in other sources.
" We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. " - Benjamin Franklin
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Do you guys not get it? I have chosen, completely irrationally but inexorably, to believe that such a word doesn't exist and to ignore all evidence to the contrary.
as Bull offed Custer
Admiral Dunsel

Post by Admiral Dunsel »

Gawd! I'd like you to run for political office.
Please work on the word "Alimony" next!
" We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. " - Benjamin Franklin