King Tut's Burial Mask Has Been "Irreversibly Damaged"

In the real world
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Re: King Tut's Burial Mask Has Been "Irreversibly Damaged"

Post by Angharrad »

:(
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I gotta admit, Mikey. I'm torn on which is worse for me. The desecration of those people's legacy is horrible, but the act itself pisses me off so damned much too.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Perhaps I'm being a touch histrionic about it, but to my mind it breaks down like this: a true accident could have happened to the mask at any time. Carter, IIRC, had even mentioned at one point that the act of opening the tomb itself could have ahd the potential to damage some of the artifacts therein. However, the lack of respect for the archaeological meaning and antrhopological value of the mask is what led to the incident.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:Perhaps I'm being a touch histrionic about it, but to my mind it breaks down like this: a true accident could have happened to the mask at any time. Carter, IIRC, had even mentioned at one point that the act of opening the tomb itself could have ahd the potential to damage some of the artifacts therein. However, the lack of respect for the archaeological meaning and antrhopological value of the mask is what led to the incident.
Accidents do happen. I do agree.

But what I have heard from the incident, these guys were rushing to get the job done and when you do that you get careless. So this isn't an accident that would have happened. This is an accident that should not have happened.

Nor was the stupidity of the fix afterwards.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I think McAvoy sums up my feelings and expresses them better than I could. ;) Yeah, an accident could and did happen. But the response was so bullshitty all the Picard facepalms in the multiverse couldn't express things properly. :picard: