Taliban attack

In the real world
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Taliban attack

Post by Angharrad »

Link
More than 100 children killed in Taliban attack on Pakistani school

More than 100 children were killed in a Taliban attack on a military school in northwestern Pakistan on Tuesday. The total death toll reached at least 126, with 122 people injured, local officials said, in the worst attack to hit the country in years.

The Pakistani army operation to rescue students ended after nine Taliban gunmen were killed, according to a military source.

The attack started with the Taliban storming the school in Peshawar in the morning hours and shooting at random. The military said Tuesday afternoon that a sixth gunman had been killed at the school, and that operations were "closing up."

"6th terrorist killed in last block," Major General Asim Bajwa tweeted. "IEDs (bombs) planted by terrorists hamper speed of clearance."

"Closing up," he tweeted. The Taliban said they sent six gunmen wearing suicide vests into the building. Special forces rescued two children and two staff members from the facility.

The overwhelming majority of the victims were students at the army public school, which has children and teenagers in grades 1-10. Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the assault and rushed to Peshawar to show his support for the victims.

Earlier on Tuesday, a Reuters journalist at the scene heard heavy gunfire from inside the school as soldiers surrounded it. Helicopters swooped overhead and a fleet of ambulances ferried wounded children to hospital.

"Many are in the operation theater now in critical condition, undergoing treatment," said Lady Reading Hospital official Ejaz Khan.

Military officials at the scene said at least six armed men had entered the military-run Army Public School. About 500 students and teachers were believed to be inside.

"We were standing outside the school and firing suddenly started and there was chaos everywhere and the screams of children and teachers," said Jamshed Khan, a school bus driver.

A teacher said that the attackers targeted the school while exams were taking place.

"After half an hour of the attack, the army came and sealed the school," a teacher told a private television channel outside the besieged school.

"We were in the examination hall when the attack took place," he said. "Now the army men are clearing the classes one by one."

Taliban spokesman Muhammad Umar Khorasani told Reuters his group was responsible for the attack.

"Our suicide bombers have entered the school, they have instructions not to harm the children, but to target the army personnel," he said.

"It's a revenge attack for the army offensive in North Waziristan," he said, referring to an anti-Taliban military offensive that began in June.

Nobel Peace Prize Winner Malala Yousafzai, who is from Pakistan, said she was "heartbroken by this senseless and cold blooded act of terror in Peshawar."

"I condemn these atrocious and cowardly acts and stand united with the government and armed forces of Pakistan whose efforts so far to address this horrific event are commendable. I, along with millions of others around the world, mourn these children, my brothers and sisters - but we will never be defeated."
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Taliban attack

Post by Mikey »

"Our suicide bombers have entered the school, they have instructions not to harm the children, but to target the army personnel," [Muhammad Umar Khorasani] said.
Funny, I always thought that the best way to avoid harming schoolchildren is to not attack a school.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Mikey wrote:
"Our suicide bombers have entered the school, they have instructions not to harm the children, but to target the army personnel," [Muhammad Umar Khorasani] said.
Funny, I always thought that the best way to avoid harming schoolchildren is to not attack a school.
Duh (that means I agree with you)
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I can't even be my usual hate-filled self about this. So senseless to attack and murder the children. I saw a picture of a toddler's body covered for a wake. Imagine how it feels to be the man who makes coffins, and one day you get the order to make 100 small coffins. There's no way in hell the Taliban can be considered the "good guys" after this, even in that part of the world.

Here's the gallery: http://imgur.com/gallery/cXpHv
In the comments someone actually has a coffin making story. The coffin maker would cry as he made a child's coffin.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I've got nothing really to say. Just thinking about this horror drains me a little.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Nutso wrote: So senseless to attack and murder the children.
I see stuff like this, but I wonder if that phrase means something different to people than what those words mean.

This was an action with purpose. And the sad reality is that terrorism works. The Taliban managed to bring a country and a half under their control, and they might end up getting a fair bit of that back and more. I suppose we'll see what the ultimate outcome is, but I wouldn't be surprised if fear of this sort of thing makes Pakistan back off some.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Pakistan has already militarized against the Taliban in response. Quite the opposite of "backing off some," methinks.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Mikey wrote:Pakistan has already militarized against the Taliban in response. Quite the opposite of "backing off some," methinks.
I'll grant they've done some face saving vs, just rolling over as in "The Interview" thing. However we'll see how this plays out long term. One can always hope this will create a backlash that actually does in the Taliban.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

One can hope something's done and the ones in charge are brought to justice. Followed by a shallow grave.