Attack on the Canadian Parliament

In the real world
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Attack on the Canadian Parliament

Post by Captain Seafort »

One soldier and one gunman reported dead, with an unknown number of possible other gunmen still in the area.

Bugger. :(
A gunman shot a soldier at a war memorial in Ottawa, then ran into the nearby parliament building where he exchanged gunfire with police.

A minister has said the soldier later died. It is unclear how many gunmen there are but one is believed dead.

More shots were fired outside a nearby shopping centre and several buildings around the city are on lockdown.

The incident came hours after Canada raised its terror threat level, after another soldier was killed on Monday.

Earlier this month, Canada announced plans to join the US-led campaign of air strikes against Islamic State (IS) militants in Iraq.

But there is no confirmation any of this week's attacks are linked to IS or the new military campaign.

The latest incident began when soldiers guarding the memorial came under fire on Wednesday morning.

"Shots fired at War Memorial at 9:52am today; one person injured," Ottawa Police tweeted.

Police have told those in the vicinity to stay away from windows and roofs as they search for additional suspects.

One gunman - said to be carrying a rifle - fired on soldiers guarding Canada's main war memorial and then ran into the parliament.

"The indications are there is more than one gunman. There may be several," Canadian MP Marc Garneau told the BBC, adding he and fellow politicians were evacuated from the area.

One gunmen inside the parliament has reportedly been shot dead but there are no reports yet of anyone else inside the building being hurt.

The nearby University of Ottawa has been placed on lockdown, as well as all local police buildings and the US Embassy.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Stephen Harper "is safe and has left Parliament Hill", his director of communications wrote on Twitter.

Senior government member Tony Clement said on Twitter shots were fired near an in-progress cabinet meeting in parliament.

A government official earlier said the raised threat level was in response to an increase in online "general chatter" from radical groups including Islamic State and al-Qaeda.

Ministry spokesman Jean-Christophe de Le Rue said on Tuesday that the increased level "means that intelligence has indicated that an individual or group within Canada or abroad has the intent and capability to commit an act of terrorism".

On Tuesday a Muslim convert was killed by Quebec police after deliberately hitting two soldiers in his car, killing one and injuring another.

A minister said it was a "terrible act of violence against our country".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Re: Attack on the Canadian Parliament

Post by Angharrad »

They cancelled the hockey game. For a Canadian city to cancel hockey, :takecover:
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

:takecover: Man...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

God dammit. :(
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

As one of our mutual friends can attest, the Canadian record on treatment of its vets is atrocious. I'm surprised it took until now for something like this to happen.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer