Ebola Toll May Be Far Worse Than Reported, Official Says

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Ebola Toll May Be Far Worse Than Reported, Official Says

Post by Nutso »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... /14102253/
DAKAR, Senegal — Beds in Ebola treatment centers are filling up faster than they can be provided, evidence that an outbreak in West Africa is far more severe than the numbers show, an official with the World Health Organization said Friday.

The outbreak sweeping Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Nigeria is already the largest and deadliest ever recorded. New numbers released Friday from WHO show an additional 76 deaths and 152 cases just from Tuesday and Wednesday alone in the past week. The totals for the outbreak now stand at 1,145 deaths out of 2,127 cases, a death rate of about 54%.

But the U.N. health agency said Thursday that official counts of the dead and infected may still "vastly underestimate the magnitude of the outbreak."

Doctors Without Borders likened the situation to a state of war and said the outbreak could last six more months.

"We're running behind a train that is going forward," Joanne Liu, the medical charity's international president, told reporters in Geneva on Friday. "And it literally is faster than what we're bringing in terms of a response."

The flood of patients into every newly opened treatment center is evidence that the official tolls aren't keeping up, Gregory Hartl, a spokesman for WHO, said from Geneva.

Hartl said that an 80-bed treatment center opened in Liberia's capital in recent days filled up immediately. The next day, dozens more people showed up to be treated.

Meanwhile, he said that experts who are going house-to-house in Kenema, Sierra Leone, in search of infected people are discovering more cases.

Ebola, which causes a high fever, bleeding and vomiting, has no cure and no licensed treatment. The disease is usually found in eastern or central Africa, typically in rural, isolated communities, where outbreaks tend to be "self-limiting," Hartl said.

By contrast, the current outbreak spread quickly to cities and the capitals of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone, making it difficult to stop its spread.

Contributing: Associated Press writer John Heilprin in Geneva, Dennis Kelly, USA TODAY
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ebola Toll May Be Far Worse Than Reported, Official Says

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well, that's terrifying.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

More people died of Malaria today than Ebola.

The have new drugs, and mortality rates are dropping dramatically. The only reason they are so high, is because mortality rates are naturally high in this part of the world sadly.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer