California Is In an Exceptional Drought?

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

California Is In an Exceptional Drought?

Post by Nutso »

Just How Bad Is California's Drought? Here's A Scary, 10-Second Answer.

http://io9.com/just-how-bad-is-californ ... 1618712607
California continues to dry up. The latest figures indicate more than 80% of the state is in extreme drought, or worse, exceptional drought. These are sobering numbers, to be sure, but for an even better perspective on the drought's unprecedented progression, check out this GIF, created by L.A. Times reader Alvaro Valiño.

Each frame of the animation is a snapshot of weekly drought conditions in California, as recorded by the U.S. Drought Monitor. By combining close to 200 of these snapshots, the GIF provides a quick, week-to-week visualization of the state's ever-worsening situation that extends all the way back to 2011 – the last time California's drought map was clear.
I haven't seen anything about California's drought on TV. Seems like this hasn't affected crops. My orange juice prices went up. Haven't noticed any drastic changes in other produce.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: California Is In an Exceptional Drought?

Post by Teaos »

Pffy, who needs water anyway, I drink Coke.

I've seen bits about this on media.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Teaos wrote:Pffy, who needs water anyway, I drink Coke.

Drink Gatorade. It's got electrolytes.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

There hasn't been a shitload of coverage about the drought situation itself, but certainly everyone must have noticed the increasing prevalence of wildfires in mid- to southern California, along with the increase in rapidity of spread and difficulty of fighting said fires.
Nutso wrote:Drink Gatorade. It's got electrolytes.
Assloads of sugar, too. Water is still the best sports drink, if you're having electrolyte problems eat a banana or an orange. If you have to have a sports drink, I'd say go with Powerade Zero.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Nutso wrote:
Teaos wrote:Pffy, who needs water anyway, I drink Coke.

Drink Gatorade. It's got electrolytes.
Mikey wrote:There hasn't been a shitload of coverage about the drought situation itself, but certainly everyone must have noticed the increasing prevalence of wildfires in mid- to southern California, along with the increase in rapidity of spread and difficulty of fighting said fires.
Nutso wrote:Drink Gatorade. It's got electrolytes.
Assloads of sugar, too. Water is still the best sports drink, if you're having electrolyte problems eat a banana or an orange. If you have to have a sports drink, I'd say go with Powerade Zero.
Powerthirst.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

As this planet is currently in a warming trend, dry areas are genrally going to get dryer. The whole western part of the U.S. is feeling the effects of drought, if weather patterns hold true to historical trends we are going to have at least another century of dryer and dryer climate. The last time something like this happened was in the 1400's.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

And then another century, then another, then another. Pretty sure the ice caps didn't melt in the 1400's. On the plus side parts of the drought will be solved when they are covered in sea water. So frankly, I dont see what they are complaining about, everyone drive a hummer and we will have the driugh problem solved in a few decades.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Unfortunatly....no. Even if all the icecaps melted I still would not get my ocean front property in Arizona, damnit.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington