100 years

In the real world
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: 100 years

Post by Teaos »

I agree the Maoris were terrorists according to modern standards, but you cant judge them by current standards, or in a bubble.

Thats my point really, hindsight and modern standards do not a fair test make.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:I agree the Maoris were terrorists according to modern standards, but you cant judge them by current standards, or in a bubble.

Thats my point really, hindsight and modern standards do not a fair test make.
The why, by all that's unholy, did you judge the American Founding Fathers according to modern standards?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

To show that people you consider heros, probably quite rightly, can somewhat ligitimatly, be called terrorists from a certain view point.

Much like the Black Hand is.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The difference is that Washington generally conducted his operations in accordance with the established customs of war. The Black Hand made no attempt to do so and were therefore a bunch of criminals.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Teaos wrote:If your selfcentredness and ignorance of world history helps... nah fuck that, ignorance helps not one.

You can't lay WWI at the Black Hands feet, almost every agrees it was going to happen, evidence by the fact that an assassination need not lead to war:-

Austia Hungry WANTED war, it made a list of totally over blown and rediclous demands of the Serbs, insuring war, even though they damned well knew the Russians had a treaty with Russia for self defence.

Russia wanted war because, evidence by the over 1 million troops waiting on its western boarders, it knew it was falling behind the arms race and though this impending war was better sooner than latter.

As did the Germans who feared the massive increase in Russian might paid for by French loans.

The French wanted the war now due to Germanies huge birthrate and ever increasing industrial power.

Only Britain really did not push for the war.

The Black hand shot the future leader of a unwanted forign power who claimed right to rule over them because... fuck the serbs.

As Tsu pointed out, you live in a country founded by terrorists if you hold to modern definitions, yet you put them on your money.
Remember that old saying about assumptions? They make an ass out of you and....well, you. Never once did I say anything about the innocence of any of the other powers in WW1, not, once.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Moreover, the only powers really pushing for war were the Austrians and French. Everyone else got dragged in through a combination of loyalty to their allies, badly designed plans for mobilisation, and a desire to smash the Hochseeflotte.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I would question that assumption. Russia had over 1 million troops in positions on the Easter Front (Russian west), and there is numerous letters that show that since everyone assumed this war was coming (If not how bad it would be) Russia wanted it sooner rather than latter since I couldnt keep up with the arms race going on.

France was in a similar position, if war was going to happen, and again, most assumed it would, they wanted it before Germany totally outstripped them in population and industry.

Now you can argue no one WANTED the war, but if it was going to happen, a lot of people wanted it to happen then, so took this opportunity.

Russian, Germany and France all had opportunities to halt the war before it started, some of them desperatly tried to halt it, but in the end, they all went for it.