Farewell, Archie: Beloved comic book character to die

In the real world
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Farewell, Archie: Beloved comic book character to die

Post by Nutso »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/08/showbiz/a ... ics-death/
(CNN) -- Since 1941, comic book fans have followed the exploits of teenaged Archie Andrews and his friends. This July, they'll find out how he dies.

"Life With Archie" #36 hits stores on July 16, and CNN can reveal exclusively that it tells the story of how Archie sacrifices himself to save a friend.

Few details are known, but it seems fitting that Archie would go out a hero. The 37th issue one week later will end the series.

The "Life With Archie" series has been telling the stories of possible future Archie scenarios for the past few years, and so Archie will continue to be alive in the comics set in the present day.

CNN spoke with Archie Comics CEO Jon Goldwater (son of Archie creator John Goldwater) about the upcoming issues.

CNN: Can you explain the "Life With Archie" series for the uninitiated?

Goldwater: "Life With Archie" is Archie's future -- it gives readers a look into what his life would be like after high school and college, which has never really been explored. Most fans are familiar with Archie as a high schooler, hanging out at Pop's Chocklit Shop with his friends. "Life With Archie" shows what happens when Archie becomes an adult and starts dealing with grownup issues.

Each issue is normally split into two storylines -- one telling a tale of Archie married to Veronica another with him ending up with Betty. The final issue, however, will show readers Archie's final fate in both timelines -- and they're the same.

CNN: Why kill Archie?

Goldwater: I think it's the natural conclusion to the "Life With Archie" series.

Archie dies as he lived -- heroically. He dies saving the life of a friend, and does it in his usual selfless way. Archie has always been a representation of us -- the best of us. Our strengths and our faults.

Writer Paul Kupperberg, with input from myself, has crafted an emotional, impactful and classic story that I know will survive the test of time. This isn't a random one-off or "what-if" story that we're doing as a gag. This is the story that we mapped out carefully and with much thought. This is the death of Archie as we see it, and we're treating it with that same level of gravitas and import. It's a once-in-a-lifetime event, and we are being very considerate about it.
Rest of the article in link.

Looks like Betty and Veronica are going to grow old then die alone and unloved. Well, Betty will anyway.

On the bright side, one less ginger in fiction. You're next Alfred E. Neuman!
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Farewell, Archie: Beloved comic book character to die

Post by Teaos »

RIP
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Farewell, Archie: Beloved comic book character to die

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

But... why? :?