Scottish Independence

In the real world
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Scottish Independence

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Although I'm aware the Scottish are not likely to declare independence following the upcoming referendum later this year, if they do so would the UK be forced then to change it's official name.

Currently, as I'm sure everyone is aware, it is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. However, the Great Britain portion includes Scotland (as Great Britain is Scotland, England, and Wales).

So, if the Scottish do decide to bugger off, would our remaining nation be forced to change to something like:

the United Kingdom of Southern Great Britain and Northern Ireland?
the United Kingdom of England, Wales, and Northern Ireland?

It may not seem an important issue to most, but unfortunately due to how my head works, once I have something in there it is impossible to get rid.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Scottish Independence

Post by Coalition »

If they do declare independence, will anyone be able to understand their declaration? :mrgreen:
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Coalition wrote:If they do declare independence, will anyone be able to understand their declaration? :mrgreen:
Haha, when I lived in Scotland, I had to contend with not only the various Scottish accents, but also Geordie and Welsh. There seemed to be a large number of Geordies in Dunfermline and Fife for some reason, and I used to childmind for a Geordie family and a Welsh family.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The united kingdom of the slightly-less-Great Britain and Northern Ireland. :lol:
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

The United Kingdom of Great Britain (except scotland) and Northern Ireland. UKoGB(eS)aNI
Bite my shiny metal ass
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

At a guess, the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. And therefore, simply the United Kingdom for short. Accurate, and with the advantage that it doesn't actually change the name much.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

GrahamKennedy wrote:At a guess, the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. And therefore, simply the United Kingdom for short. Accurate, and with the advantage that it doesn't actually change the name much.
Aye, I realize of course that we'd still retain the name United Kingdom. It's more the formal name I was wondering about. But true enough.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I doubt the formal name would actually change to be honest, even if it would now be wrong.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

United Kingdom of Not Quite as Great Britain and Ireland.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

United Kingdom of Above Average Britain.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:At a guess, the United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland. And therefore, simply the United Kingdom for short. Accurate, and with the advantage that it doesn't actually change the name much.
Or the United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland. Principalities don't count.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah, I'm sure that argument would be a real winner in Wales.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

They refuse to transmit Doctor Who, Queen intervenes? :D
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I don't know how much good that would do, they lost a lot of their diplomatic power when they lost Freddie
Bite my shiny metal ass
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Big day tomorrow (or today depending on time zone). I think if they stay or go it'll still be really neat historically.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-