Dolphins are people too

In the real world
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dolphins are people too

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
India has officially recognized dolphins as non-human persons, whose rights to life and liberty must be respected. Dolphin parks that were being built across the country will instead be shut down.

India's Ministry of Environment and Forests has advised state governments to ban dolphinariums and other commercial entertainment that involves the capture and confinement of cetacean species such as orcas and bottlenose dolphins. In a statement, the government said research had clearly established cetaceans are highly intelligent and sensitive, and that dolphins "should be seen as 'non-human persons' and as such should have their own specific rights."

The move comes after weeks of protest against a dolphin park in the state of Kerala and several other marine mammal entertainment facilities which were to be built this year. Animal welfare advocates welcomed the decision.

"This opens up a whole new discourse of ethics in the animal protection movement in India," said Puja Mitra from the Federation of Indian Animal Protection Organizations (FIAPO). Mitra is a leading voice in the Indian movement to end dolphin captivity.
Interesting. Can animals have rights like people? Should they? If so, how far do those rights extend?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Dolphins are people too

Post by stitch626 »

Thats interesting. Wonder how it will effect politics elsewhere...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I am... off-put by this. I don't know how else to describe it, really.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

stitch626 wrote:Thats interesting. Wonder how it will effect politics elsewhere...
By about three-quarters of fuck all I expect.
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I am... off-put by this. I don't know how else to describe it, really.
Aye. There's a world of difference between criminalising neglect or deliberate abuse, and treating animals as though they're full members of human society.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I am... off-put by this. I don't know how else to describe it, really.
Aye. There's a world of difference between criminalising neglect or deliberate abuse, and treating animals as though they're full members of human society.
Yeah, that'd be about it. Legit thank you. :) But yeah, pass laws for outlawing neglect/abuse, but granting them this level of rights? *Looks to refrigerator* Yeah...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:Aye. There's a world of difference between criminalising neglect or deliberate abuse, and treating animals as though they're full members of human society.
I doubt they intend to do that, though.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

What if there are some gay Dolphins? Will India now have to imprison those gay dolphins, like they voted to do with actual gay humans?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Hmmm, "non-human persons" and "own specific rights". Perhaps this means something along the lines of a sacred animal? Does not say anything about human rights though.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I would assume that it means they intend to grant dolphins some rights that humans have, but not others. For instance they seem to be saying that they have the right not to be imprisoned, but one would imagine they aren't going to get the right to vote, say.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Exactly.

ARA have been trying to do this all over the world. Animals get the right to not be eaten or imprisoned or used as slaves.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"