Scandal at Massachusetts crime lab

In the real world
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Scandal at Massachusetts crime lab

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Source
BOSTON - Massachusetts officials continue to scramble this weekend with a crime lab scandal that puts more than 1,000 convictions in doubt. The tainted test results are all being blamed on a single crime lab chemist.

According to prosecutors, Annie Dookhan admitted to altering or faking the test results of drugs. One instance involved fake drugs on a suspect.

Dookhan's co-workers had their suspicions, detailed in a 100-page report by the Massachusetts State Police.

Mass. lab tech arrested for falsifying drug tests

One chemist said: "Dookhan would submit a cocaine sample and it would come back heroin or vice versa."

Dookhan's work has called into question the cases of 1,100 people currently serving time. More will likely be re-opened. To handle them, the state is setting up special courts, where judges could run longer sessions to work through the backlog.

"It's incalculable the harm that it's done to the integrity of the justice system," said Boston criminal defense attorney Bernard Grossberg.

Asked about the possibility that some folks who do have rap sheets and have a history of criminal records walking the streets in Massachusetts, Grossberg said: "While we don't like some of these guys getting released, that's what the law requires, and we will do it because we're the commonwealth of Massachusetts and we try to do the right thing."

Grossberg said what happened in Massachusetts should prompt other states to examine their own labs.

"I think in our system, our criminal justice system, there is nothing worse, than an unfair, unconstitutional conviction," he said.

If Dookhan is convicted, she could face more than 20 years in prison.
:shock:

It's a good thing that at least the damage this woman did can be tackled and some attempt made to compensate her many, many victims.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Scandal at Massachusetts crime lab

Post by McAvoy »

Why did she do it?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

This sort of bullshit is why I changed my mind about the death penalty. Trusting those in power to do the right thing or be honest is naive at best.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

McAvoy wrote:Why did she do it?
Power probably, middle management types love flaunting the tiny power they have pretending they are doing critical services.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Good lord the damage this fucking idiot's done...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

1,100 Cases without a QC check? They never put in some test samples to check up on someone who's work is going to be critical to convicting people?
One chemist said: "Dookhan would submit a cocaine sample and it would come back heroin or vice versa."
How does that not immediately bring everything to a screeching halt and prompt a MAJOR review? Seems to me the problem might be more than one rogue chemist. A lack of QC and significant errors not being immediately flagged and that chemist being investigated? I wonder how many innocent men and women are in jail because of this nut and if Massachusetts is ready to bust out the checkbook and start writing them obscenely large settlements.