In the real world
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

"Iron Man" suits for US military?

Post by sunnyside »

Video here:

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video ... ?hpt=hp_t2

I'm not sure how practical that would be for most things. But for the specific action of getting out of a vehicle, having to move all of twenty feet, and then taking out a door and checking out an area I could see how it could be very useful at surviving that initial shot from an concealed opponent or, as is increasingly likely, an explosion.

Though to be honest it seems like you ought to be able to do that with a drone with even less risk to soldiers. But I suppose we haven't worked out bipedal drones nor fast reacting and maneuvering drones that you might want if you're trying to catch people by surprise in order to take them alive.
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: "Iron Man" suits for US military?

Post by DarkMoineau »

Engaging target at this distance wouldn't mean having a drone able to shoot on his own decision? I see an ethical problem here.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: "Iron Man" suits for US military?

Post by sunnyside »

DarkMoineau wrote:Engaging target at this distance wouldn't mean having a drone able to shoot on his own decision? I see an ethical problem here.
They're talking about having something to punch in doors. You could almost run a cable from the relative safety of an armored vehicle a short distance away, and a short range wireless solution would be easy.

I can see some advantages to having a human operator though. Maybe they'll go with a blend of the two options.