Captain Kirk to command new destroyer

In the real world
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Captain Kirk to command new destroyer

Post by Tyyr »

McAvoy wrote:Again which is why it will never happen. Its basically special treatment whether he is Captain for two minutes or two years.
Yeah, because no one in the military has ever gotten special treatment before. Besides, if the guy is in command for a day what's he going to do? A carrier is a major command but if he's in it for a day he's not bumping anyone who was ahead of him out of the job, it's done for a publicity stunt.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Fine. Name one person who was put in command of anything as a publicity stunt.

Yes I am aware of the Navy being guilty of playing favorites, using commands to further certain people's careers etc. I was in the god damned Navy for fucking eight years. I saw this all the fucking time.

Now, name a single person that was placed in command of a ship for a few days to satisfy a handful of people who think it would be cool.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Top of my head, I can't. However your objection based on special treatment of someone you yourself admitted that happens all the time. As for satisfying a group of people, they named one of the test Shuttle's Enterprise just based off the whims of trekkies in the late 1970's. Something a lot more public than putting one guy, who is a qualified captain mind you, in charge of a ship for a couple days. The Enterprise is still prominently on display at the KSC where as Kirk would be a footnote in a ship's history. Given the issues the US military is facing I'm not seeing this as being that far fetched.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Wrong. He isn't qualified to be a captain of a aircraft carrier. Just because his rank says he is a captain doesn't mean he is qualified to be a captain of a nuclear aircraft carrier. He is just as qualified to be a captain of a nuke sub.

Oh and the shuttle isn't military.

Special treatment wouldn't work here because the of the very fact it would be special treatment that would be obvious. For one no one has asked about his record. Is it actually good enough to be the skipper of a carrier?

He has been in the Navy since 1992. Doubtful he will be around when the Enterprise is commissioned at least as a Captain. I doubt he will allow himself to be demoted.

At best if he is still around, he could be a rear admiral and be put in charge of the whole Enterprise battle group.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

He's of the appropriate rank and this entire argument is based off a "wouldn't it be cool if," statement that the guy could be put in command for a bit to have captain Kirk command the USS Enterprise. Not lead it into battle, just have "Captain Kirk," in the ship's history. Yes, I know that just because the guy's a captain doesn't mean he's ready for a carrier. I'm also not suggesting the guy take it into combat or even leave the fucking dock. When it's an avowed publicity stunt with a suggested duration that could be measured in hours I don't think anyone is suggesting a serious diving into the guy's record.

Yes, I know the shuttle isn't military. Duh. However a serious piece of American hardware was named in a publicity stunt.

Get the stick out of your ass, sheesh.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:He's of the appropriate rank and this entire argument is based off a "wouldn't it be cool if," statement that the guy could be put in command for a bit to have captain Kirk command the USS Enterprise. Not lead it into battle, just have "Captain Kirk," in the ship's history. Yes, I know that just because the guy's a captain doesn't mean he's ready for a carrier. I'm also not suggesting the guy take it into combat or even leave the fucking dock. When it's an avowed publicity stunt with a suggested duration that could be measured in hours I don't think anyone is suggesting a serious diving into the guy's record.

Yes, I know the shuttle isn't military. Duh. However a serious piece of American hardware was named in a publicity stunt.

Get the stick out of your ass, sheesh.
Are you kidding me? Are you?

I am stating it will not work, the Navy will never do it. They do not do things like that.

That is my point.

How about you back the fuck off?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Are you kidding me? Are you?
Congrats on your point, in a thread about a guy named Captain Kirk on a Star Trek message board getting command of a ship which derailed into a hope he might be given command of a ship that hasn't even had it's keel laid down yet to satisfy a Trekkie in joke. What the fuck other possible explanation could there fucking be?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Wrong I pointed it out it will never happen.

Congrats. You won the debate.

Yeah he will be Captain Kirk of the USS Enterprise and we should pention the Navy to assign a guy named Spock to be his XO.

Happy now?

All I did is point out that it will never fucking happen. YOU. You are the one who is arguing with me as if the Navy will do it and I am wrong to ever think it.

So calm the fuck down. I already admitted that there could be a possibility that he could as an Admiral be in command of the carrier group. But hey let's continue to argue about something! That's always fun right?

I mean what the hell! Let's argue about the fact that he was a god damned captain while some other ship named Enterprise was still in commission! You know, the the one that just got fucking retired? What to argue about how dumb the Navy is for never letting him command that one even for a few hours?

Jesus. I am not the one with stick up my ass.