So how screwed are we?

In the real world
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

So how screwed are we?

Post by Teaos »

I assume everyone is keeping up to date with Americas latest political tantrum?

Prediction vary from small short term fall out to making the great depression look like a bright sunny day.

I originally thought this was just posturting that would be over in a week. Nut with some of the latest reports that certain groups planned for this and are even talking about a default being good in the long term.... it could be really really bad.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: So how screwed are we?

Post by IanKennedy »

Teaos wrote:...Nut with some of the latest reports...
Never a truer typo. :) Should be plural though.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Who is currently getting blamed for this? I mean by the public, obviously the parties will just be blaming each other.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Personally, I blame all of the scum-sucking assholes. But that's just me. :)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Sadly from the reports I've read the Republicans arent getting enough of the blame, figures bounce between 60-70% for people blaming the republicans.

The speaker of the house is getting a lot of shit as it really is his fault, he could end it tomorrow if he did his job right.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

IanKennedy wrote:Who is currently getting blamed for this? I mean by the public, obviously the parties will just be blaming each other.
Republicans are getting most of he blame but Democrats are being blamed for not compromising while everyone is blaming the Republicans for holding the country hostage.

Oh and right now the Republicans are playing the blame game for what is and what is not shutdown too.

My Facebook news is being blown up by the more brainwashed political idiots about this too which is annoying in itself.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Anybody with a brain cell working can see that the whole lot are to blame. Only idiots blame just one side.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Vic wrote:Anybody with a brain cell working can see that the whole lot are to blame. Only idiots blame just one side.
There's your answer. They're all assholes. The Republicans are dredging up a fight they've already lost. They're sore losers who've decided that if they don't get their way then they'll just take their ball and go home. Meanwhile the Democrats are too spineless and limp wristed to actually do anything productive and have decided to just sit in the middle of the floor and pout while whining about how everyone else is being so mean to them.

Because comparing them both to the behavior of a spoiled three year old is the most appropriate analogy that can be made. Quite possibly the saddest reality of all this is the stupid fucking electorate will still give most of these cock suckers their jobs back next election cycle rather than sending the lot of them packing.

Screwed? Well the government is one of the single biggest consumers in the entire economy and one of the biggest employers. Right now thanks to the government there are now millions of people who are essentially umemployed. While some places are stating a willingness to work with government employees while they're on furlough (unpaid fuck you, "vacation") the gas station, the grocery store, and other won't be so understanding. There's also all kinds of goods not being bought right now, toilet paper, coffee, recipt paper, electricty, and so on. Meaning many businesses have lost a major customer.
Never mind the secondary effects it's having on the economy. I know people who are unable to do their jobs because of a lack of access to government services needed to do what they do. Hell, there are some school programs in my area that are federally funded and now hundreds of kids are not able to attend class. There's further economic impact there as the parents of those kids are having to find people to watch them, or take time off.

While I am happy to see all 535 incompetant assholes on the hill voluntarily take themselves out of power, economically this could be disastorus depending on how long it goes on for. So far it's just going to be a stumble, but the longer it goes on the worse it's going to get.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

These assholes can just stop working and still get paid. I saw on Fox News that the families of dead soldiers have stopped getting their benefits because of the shutdown. Way to care about the important things, assholes.

I'm surprised Boehner hates Obama enough to shutdown the whole Congress. Wasn't it just a few months ago they were hugging, holding hands and singing each other praises because they both wanted to bomb the shit out of Syria? Don't you remember the good times? You were so happy you were getting to kill things again.

I guess the assholes need a good old reliable "Bomb another far away country, preferably Arab" campaign on the floor so they will get to work again. The assholes are always up for that.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It sounds like it's only congress that's getting the flack, rather than the POTUS?
email, ergo spam
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Largely, yeah. Obama isn't catching much flak from this. Not that he should, this is largely Congress' hissy fit. He can't make them do anything and as far as his party goes the Democratic leadership has never been overly enamored with Obama. Long story short the President is really all he ever is here, a cheerleader but given what dickheads both sides are being I can understand him wanting to stay far away from this.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Fair enough. From an outside perspective it would seem to be the republicans fault, they have lost the vote many times on the issue and won't seem to let the government do what is was elected to do. A mandate from the people would seem to mean nothing to them, they know better than the people what's good for them, how very communistic. :happydevil:
email, ergo spam
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Minor point, but...
Tyyr wrote:Because comparing them both to the behavior of a spoiled three year old is the most appropriate analogy that can be made insulting to the three year old.
Fixed.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:Minor point, but...
Tyyr wrote:Because comparing them both to the behavior of a spoiled three year old is the most appropriate analogy that can be made insulting to the three year old.
Fixed.

I say fuck it. Fire them all and vote new guys in.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote:I say fuck it. Fire them all and vote new guys in.
If you do that, then be sure to only pick people that don't want to be elected.
email, ergo spam