Alan Turing to be pardoned by UK Gov't

In the real world
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Alan Turing to be pardoned by UK Gov't

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alan Turing to be pardoned by UK Gov't

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Long past bloody time. A shameful episode of our history, and nice to see it corrected finally.

...and they should pardon everyone else convicted under the same law, too.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Never heard of this before. Sad.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:Never heard of this before. Sad.
Same, here. That's... well, as you said, sad. And I fully agree with Graham. Pardon them all.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

The pardon should have been automatic when the law was changed. Damned stupid.
email, ergo spam
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Why the hell would the government resist pardoning nearly 50,000 people convicted under that law after they themselves decided it needed to be changed?
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Tyyr wrote:Why the hell would the government resist pardoning nearly 50,000 people convicted under that law after they themselves decided it needed to be changed?
It's beyond me. Perhaps they're fearful of law suites.
email, ergo spam
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Tyyr wrote:Why the hell would the government resist pardoning nearly 50,000 people convicted under that law after they themselves decided it needed to be changed?
Maybe some of the clowns who prosecuted men under that shitty law are still alive and influential.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Given the social and political climate of a law written in 1885 and being enforced in the 1950's I'd find it hard to support a lawsuit demanding any kind of compensation. Pardon certainly, that should go without saying but lawsuit? I just can't see how that would work. The act was repealed in 1967. I have to imagine that most of those convicted under the bill are already dead. Those still alive, while I doubt they'd get much lawsuit traction even if they did I'd think you'd just have to buck up and take it. A lot of people got screwed for no good reason, be a man and admit it was a mistake, pardon them all, and put it behind you. As is this is just a shit way to handle it. "Sorry, you're still a convicted criminal even though we realized the law you were convicted under was bollocks and repealed it."

Honestly, those kind of things should just be automatic. A law gets struck down, everyone convicted under it is pardoned.

In looking that repeal date up I learned the age of consent was 12 until 1885, and between 10 and 12 it was just a misdemeanor. Damn.