Terrorism Isn't Real

In the real world
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Terrorism Isn't Real

Post by Tyyr »

Jim wrote:... and the CIA blew up the twin towers...
Ad hominem. Do you have anything substantive to add?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:

I am going to say if there have been thwarted terrorist attacks they have been done very quietly. But if they did for example, there could be a reason of security reasons they cant reveal them for whatever reason.

Though I will admit it would look better especially with today's media to reveal some of the failed terrorist plans.

Come to think of it, there have been plans exposed before but it just didn't get big news coverage.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Tyyr wrote:
About as substantive as the entire original premise, yes.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

McAvoy wrote:I am going to say if there have been thwarted terrorist attacks they have been done very quietly. But if they did for example, there could be a reason of security reasons they cant reveal them for whatever reason.

Though I will admit it would look better especially with today's media to reveal some of the failed terrorist plans.

Come to think of it, there have been plans exposed before but it just didn't get big news coverage.
They claim that they have foiled hundreds of plots. They can't release details on a few dozen? If you're going to start infringing the rights of the citizens on an industrial scale you'd damn well better be able to offer some proof that it will accomplish anything. So far all the government has done is say, "Trust us," and sorry, the government doesn't get to run on trust.

And again, historically the trend in terrorism has been in decline. Believe it or not 9/11 occurred during one of the lowest ebbs in terrorism since 1969. And it's not as if after 9/11 muslim extremists went, "Oh right! I hate America and am willing to die to strike at her!" They despised us before 9/11 about as much as they despised us after it. Though I'm sure us fucking around over in their countries for the last decade have truly endeared us to them.

Again, prior to 9/11 where were the hundreds of plots being foiled? I mean, without the Patriot Act, PRISM, Cellphone monitoring, and annoying things like due process and the 1st and 4th amendments in the way how could we possibly be kept safe? Two options, either we were, and everything that's been given up was for nothing, or most of those hundreds of plots being "foiled" were hot air, never going anywhere anyways. "What if" day dreams of men too cowardly to do them themselves that were foiled by making the cellphones they were chatting on disconnect.

It remains laughably easy to hurt Americans and it was even more so prior to 9/11 yet for that singular incident where is this vast over-reaching conspiracy to do us harm? Where is it? We're sitting naked on the firing line and yet no one has taken a crack at us in any substantial way? Come on, we've justified two wars off this, don't we have anything more substantial to work off of?

Since 1969 only about 5,600 American's have died due to terrorism, in 44 years. The flu kills more Americans each year in about 3 months. Mind you the VAST majority of those deaths come from one of three sources, 9/11 (59% of the deaths alone), one or two major international airliner bombings, and attacks on US military personel overseas. And yet somehow, this is something that's dangerous enough for us to start enacting laws that violate basic foundational principles of this country and launch two wars with no clear goal or plan?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I tend to agree. I'm all for my rights, but I sure as hell wouldn't mind the gub'mint knowing my call durations if I knew that there was a reason that protected lives. However, I don't know that, and the only info the public has heard either way is NSA/DHS/whoever saying, "Trust us, it helps" and a few senators from a bi-partisan commission saying, "We told them it wouldn't help." The only difference, besides degree, between this and Bush's wiretapping et. al. is that when W. did it, he could play on our national anxiety from the more recent 9/11 attacks. No evidence of any reward for what we gave up then, and no evidence for any reward for what we're giving up now.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Teaos wrote:The idea of stopping this particular breed of terrorism with guns and war and and politics is pointless.

This is a cultural battle, you win it by taking away the other support base by making the people love you and want to have what you have.
Won't happen as long as those poor, unfortunate bastards are sitting on oil and are in need to be kept down and stupid. :wink: (which applies also to their own side...as I said, unfortunate bastards.)

On the whole I would agree though, all that energy and money spent on fighting terrorists who hate the west sooooo much, but I hardly ever hard anyone wonder why that is so.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Atekimogus wrote:On the whole I would agree though, all that energy and money spent on fighting terrorists who hate the west sooooo much, but I hardly ever hard anyone wonder why that is so.
It's not really a question you are allowed to ask in mainstream politics. It's a trap - if you suggest that they terrorists have a reason for what they are doing, outside of that they are just plain evil people, then you are taken to be suggesting that the US deserves to be attacked.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well the moment oil is gone then we won't care what they do to themselves. Kinda like African countries with their little wars.

Next up will be South America.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:Well the moment oil is gone then we won't care what they do to themselves.
The sadist in me kind of hopes to be around to see what happens when Israel finds itself in a world where the west really doesn't care what happens to the rest of the middle east any more.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I want to see what happens to Israel when in 20 years there are more pallistinians in Israel than Jews.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:The sadist in me kind of hopes to be around to see what happens when Israel finds itself in a world where the west really doesn't care what happens to the rest of the middle east any more.
I really don't want to be anywhere near Damascus, Riyadh, Cairo, Amman or anywhere similar when that happens. Samson Option.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:The sadist in me kind of hopes to be around to see what happens when Israel finds itself in a world where the west really doesn't care what happens to the rest of the middle east any more.
I really don't want to be anywhere near Damascus, Riyadh, Cairo, Amman or anywhere similar when that happens. Samson Option.
Well like I said, once oil runs out that area will not concern anyone except for dangerous weapons falling into the wrong hands.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:Well like I said, once oil runs out that area will not concern anyone except for dangerous weapons falling into the wrong hands.
Other than the obnoxious little shits with long memories and the ability to take out their obnoxiousness a bit closer to home. All dangerous weapons are the product of the human mind, and it doesn't need much in the way of resources to make a real mess.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Well like I said, once oil runs out that area will not concern anyone except for dangerous weapons falling into the wrong hands.
Other than the obnoxious little shits with long memories and the ability to take out their obnoxiousness a bit closer to home. All dangerous weapons are the product of the human mind, and it doesn't need much in the way of resources to make a real mess.
Well that is the people and not the Middle East in general that would be the threat. Retards with intentions of being little shits isn't the same as a a retard in control of a country turning their army into a bunch of little shits.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Yeah, I gotta agree on this one. The West's interest in the region isn't protecting Israel, it's protecting the Middle East Arab nations from Israel. Remember, the Arab nations of the Middle East have a long and glorious history of partnering up and massively outnumbering Israel, attacking from decided advantages, and then getting their asses thoroughly handed to them.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer