Some positive news. Boy Scouts of USA.

In the real world
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Some positive news. Boy Scouts of USA.

Post by Deepcrush »

Boys Scouts of America hold first and only open vote on gay membership. The "official" (though rarely enforced) ban on open gays within the organization is over. To me, as an Eagle Scout, I'm extremely proud of this moment in our history.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Some positive news. Boy Scouts of USA.

Post by Tsukiyumi »

It's good news; it may be a while before they lift the ban on gay scout leaders (or adult scouts), though. As it stands now, the moment a scout turns 18, they're out of the organization.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well leaders are picked by the specific troop council. So while the organization as a whole won't promote or support openly gay members or activities. It still leaves the leadership selection to the individual Units. Having gay members is nothing new in BSA, its just that BSA is a highly christian and highly conservative group. So the truth is that open ANYTHING is frowned on. My mother was the sixth woman in the US entered into the Order of the Arrow and even then no one knew what to do about it. Just kind of a big confusion as too so few women being in but no reason not to let them. Finally, anything where you have to gather the votes from 3 million people, most of which are between 13 and 18... asking for speedy process to anything isn't easy.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

As I read it, openly gay scouts who become adults and wish to continue their experience by becoming scout leaders are... well, they're beat like a bass drum. Unfortunately, there's no way to go back from being an openly gay scout (now allowed) to being a closeted scout leader.

What's unfortunate about this event - which should be celebrated as a positive milestone for the BSA - is that there are thousands of parents who are: proclaiming their intention to possibly leave the BSA and/or intending to have their churches withdraw support for the BSA... instead of what they should do, which is continue to have the BSA teach important lessons to their kids.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If a few thousand want to leave then let them leave. Anyone who can't deal with reality is as far as I'm concerned, just unwanted trash.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:If a few thousand want to leave then let them leave. Anyone who can't deal with reality is as far as I'm concerned, just unwanted trash.
Agreed 100%. However, I doubt it will be limited to a few thousand. When a couple of groups split off from the Girl Scouts, they took 20k members with them. This could be potentially much more divisive.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Eh, still a small number and I don't care even if it was a big number. Anyone who is more interested in being or promoting problems then providing a safe and stable environment for kids should be put out anyways. I spend all day and night with work cleaning up petty civil messes, I don't plan on allowing children to have to deal with it in a place they should be learning rather then fussing.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Great move, and now they've done this I expect any last barriers to fall soon as well when they realise this isnt the end of the world.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Good for them. :clappy:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Teaos wrote:Great move, and now they've done this I expect any last barriers to fall soon as well when they realise this isnt the end of the world.
There will always be barriers, they just mean less and less over time. The fact that the ruling was pushed because the majority of units already have openly gay members anyways means its just a formal end to an informal issue.